DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Assignable switch settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/115922-assignable-switch-settings.html)

Peter Newsom February 27th, 2008 08:04 PM

Assignable switch settings

I thought it would be interesting to see how everyone uses the four switches available on the XDCam. I mainly shoot news so I have them set for what I use the most.

Switch 1 - Cache Record. This is just the coolest function, and I use it capture someone entering the room etc(duration 5secs), or goal high-lights(10-12sec) secs.

Switch 2 - Re-take for hand held work. Excellent for getting rid of a flubbed stand-up, a b-roll shot that didn't work out. I use the lens return switch on the lens to complete the function.

Switch 3 - Re-take again, for when I am working with a tripod.

Switch 4 - Lens Return, so that I can do the retake function with one hand. Also because I have an older zoom control with out a quickzoom button, I can assign my Fuji lens' quickzoom function to the lens-return switch and then have it available on my zoom control for tripod work. This causes the return function to no longer work on the lens control so I need a camera based lens return switch to do retakes.

What are you guys doing?

Greg Boston February 27th, 2008 09:01 PM

I use #1 for enabling the IRControl, #2 is currently set to freeze/mix, #3 for turbo gain and #4 for re-take. I'll sometimes alter the 1 and 2 switches, but 3 and 4 pretty much stay the same.

It is a wonderful camera, is it not?

-gb-

Uli Mors February 28th, 2008 03:21 AM

1: cache rec
2: variable (sometimes turbo gain, sometimes ATW)
3: REC for easier access
4: RE-Take

Would like to have some more assignable buttons ;-)

ULi

Paul Gale February 28th, 2008 04:26 AM

Do you every have trouble remembering what you have assigned and end up pressing the wrong button?

Good job you have to confirm the re-take by pressing RET!

Uli Mors February 28th, 2008 08:01 AM

I think I am using this assignment already since I bought the cam ;-)

What about a sticky on the cam (just kiddin)?

ULI

Paul Gale February 28th, 2008 12:52 PM

Or scratch it in with a sharp point !!! horror! ;)

Eric Emerick March 14th, 2008 04:05 PM

Anyone know why when I press the button assigned to Re-take, I get the message "Re-take Not Allowed!"? Thanks.

Peter Newsom March 15th, 2008 06:54 AM

There are two reasons that I attribute to why the Retake function won't work at times.

First one is that it takes a few seconds to print the latest shot to disk, and until that is completed the Retake function won't work. Just wait a moment, and try it again. It should work then.

The second instance occures if you have aready played back the last clip, or turned the camera off, and back on. I thyink that this prevents you from accidentally erasing a clip. There might be an elapsed time parameter too, but I haven't tested that theory.