Assignable switch settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Assignable switch settings

I thought it would be interesting to see how everyone uses the four switches available on the XDCam. I mainly shoot news so I have them set for what I use the most.

Switch 1 - Cache Record. This is just the coolest function, and I use it capture someone entering the room etc(duration 5secs), or goal high-lights(10-12sec) secs.

Switch 2 - Re-take for hand held work. Excellent for getting rid of a flubbed stand-up, a b-roll shot that didn't work out. I use the lens return switch on the lens to complete the function.

Switch 3 - Re-take again, for when I am working with a tripod.

Switch 4 - Lens Return, so that I can do the retake function with one hand. Also because I have an older zoom control with out a quickzoom button, I can assign my Fuji lens' quickzoom function to the lens-return switch and then have it available on my zoom control for tripod work. This causes the return function to no longer work on the lens control so I need a camera based lens return switch to do retakes.

What are you guys doing?
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Wrangler

I use #1 for enabling the IRControl, #2 is currently set to freeze/mix, #3 for turbo gain and #4 for re-take. I'll sometimes alter the 1 and 2 switches, but 3 and 4 pretty much stay the same.

It is a wonderful camera, is it not?

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Major Player

1: cache rec
2: variable (sometimes turbo gain, sometimes ATW)
3: REC for easier access
4: RE-Take

Would like to have some more assignable buttons ;-)

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Do you every have trouble remembering what you have assigned and end up pressing the wrong button?

Good job you have to confirm the re-take by pressing RET!
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Major Player

I think I am using this assignment already since I bought the cam ;-)

What about a sticky on the cam (just kiddin)?

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Or scratch it in with a sharp point !!! horror! ;)
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Anyone know why when I press the button assigned to Re-take, I get the message "Re-take Not Allowed!"? Thanks.
Old March 15th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

There are two reasons that I attribute to why the Retake function won't work at times.

First one is that it takes a few seconds to print the latest shot to disk, and until that is completed the Retake function won't work. Just wait a moment, and try it again. It should work then.

The second instance occures if you have aready played back the last clip, or turned the camera off, and back on. I thyink that this prevents you from accidentally erasing a clip. There might be an elapsed time parameter too, but I haven't tested that theory.
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts