DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   New firmware available for XDCAM HD decks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/116729-new-firmware-available-xdcam-hd-decks.html)

Thierry Humeau March 10th, 2008 08:30 PM

New firmware available for XDCAM HD decks

Here is a link to an other firmware upgrade I highly recommend but this time, for XDCAM HD decks.

Version 1.93 firmware is now available for the PDW-F70 at:

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...x?model=PDWF70

My favorite features are the improvements made in menu navigation, good stuff!

Best,

Thierry.

Here is a summary of new improvements and bug fixes:

(1) [F70/F30/70MD] Addition of Clip Continuous Recording Function

(2) [F70/70MD] Addition of Trigger Recording Function by HD-SDI Anc

(3) [F70/F30/70MD] Improvement of Menu Operability

1. The software has been changed so that setting does not return to the default even if the system frequency is changed.
2. The default of MENU GRADE of F70 has been changed to ENHANCED.
* F70 ENHANCED
* F30/70MD BASIC
3. The software has been changed so that the LCD display mode can be automatically changed tothe full screen when operating the menu. When the menu operation is finished, it returns to the original display mode.

(4) [F70/F30/70MD] Support of Memory Stick Pro

(5) [F70/F30] Blank Line Function of SD Base Band

(6) [F70/F30/70MD] Addition of Mode to turn off the Enhancer of Down-converter

(7) [F70] Addition of Auto Mode to Ref Lock

(8) [F70/F30/70MD] Addition of Alarm
1. Addition of the 300 Clips Alarm
2. Addition of LAST ALARM
3. Addition of Drive Busy Alarm

(9) F70/F30/70MD] Addition of RS-232C Command

(10) [F70/70MD] Addition of Selection not to Add Characters to SDSDI OUT

(11) [F70/F30/70MD] Caution on full salvage

* Bug Fixes

(1) [F70/F30/70MD] Countermeasure against an alarm issued when connecting the RM-280
(2) [F70/F30/70MD] When network-connecting with the MediaVenue, the FTP transfer isstopped halfway. This trouble has been fixed.
(3) [F70/F30/70MD] When the ERROR91-215 occurs due to shutting of power during upgrading, the trouble cannot be recovered by reloading software.
This trouble has been fixed.
(4) [F70/F30/70MD] “OPEN” is returned even though it is “CLOSE” when “01•FB•D0
CLOSE SENSE” command is sent via 9PIN.

Dan Brazda March 12th, 2008 11:16 AM

Not having any luck making the upgrade happen. Can you do it from 1.56 to 1.93 or is there an intermediary step? I can access the maintenance menu and see my current software but it doesn't allow me to get to the upgrade step. Seems it doesn't recognize the memory stick (128mb Sony). Tried it with another and same thing. Double-checked the root structure and it's good (MSSONY/PRO/XDCAM/PDWF70/F70PK.ROM).

Didn't format the stick in the deck but on a compute (Mac). Is that the problem? If so, how do you format a memory stick on the PDWF70? Thanks in advance.

Steve Cahill March 12th, 2008 01:40 PM

Dan yes I had the same problem you have.

1. You have to format the memory stick via the deck and or the Camera, but NOT BY A COMPUTER! My deck did not have the format option, So I used the camera. If you use the camera have to create a sub directory called PDWF70 next to the existing GENERAL directory and place the F70PK.ROM file into the PDWF70 directory. Then follow the instructions below: If you format the stick via the deck it will create the directories for the deck, Since I foramtted via the camera and added the deck directory I now have a memory card that has both directories to upgrade either by haveing the upgrade package in the correct folder, be it camera and or deck.

Download the software for the website to your PC hard drive first (not a network drive). Then copy the software to the memory stick as stated in step 2.
1. Before doing any of the Memory Stick software upgrades you should save (save the bank information into one of the bank location) otherwise the menu selection will be set to the default conditions. Refer to the Operation Manual for saving the bank (menu selections). Remove any disc that may be inserted in the system.

2. Place a formatted Memory Stick by using THE DECK AND OR CAMERA to format into your PC and Place the following files into the folder MSSONY/PRO/XDCAM/PDWF70.
F70PK.ROM
3. Place the Memory Stick with the above files into the memory stick slot located on the rear panel of the deck.
4. To get the Software Version menus of the deck, hold the left arrow (IN) key depressed while pressing the Menu button. This will now display the Maintenance Menus. Use the down arrow key to get to OTHERS menu and then the right arrow to enter this menu. Select the Software Version menu.
5. Now you have a screen that is displaying the various software version of your system. While holding the “SHIFT” button click the “SET” button. The display will now show you the current version that is in your system and what is load onto the memory stick that could be downloaded into your system. To proceed with the update of the software press the “SET” button.
NOTE: If the new version does not show up on the display either the file structure is incorrect or you may be using a too large of a memory stick (128MB or less).
6. The menu will change to indicate the progress of the upgrade. First it will read the new software from the memory stick (LOADING). Then the display will change to “WRITING” the software. The progress is always will be displayed, however the progress of the % is not linear and usually shows down at 84% due to the writing of various EE ROMs or PLDs. The entire software upgrade process of reading and writing the software will take between 15 minutes to 20 minutes. Do not turn power off during this process otherwise the software could become corrupted. Do not panic if the display remains of “Writing : 84% for several minutes (even as long as 10 minutes) as this is normal.

Mitchell Skurnik March 12th, 2008 02:09 PM

Do you know of any good places to purchase a 128MB memory card. All tech stores near me only have 512MB or more.

Steve Cahill March 12th, 2008 02:37 PM

I have a old 32mb card, not so sure where to find one. Google it.

Thierry Humeau March 12th, 2008 07:22 PM

64MB, 32MB, 16MB or even 8MB memory sticks are good enough and can be found really, really cheap on eBay.

Thierry.

Dan Brazda March 12th, 2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cahill (Post 841331)
Dan yes I had the same problem you have.

1. You have to format the memory stick via the deck and or the Camera, but NOT BY A COMPUTER! My deck did not have the format option, So I used the camera. If you use the camera have to create a sub directory called PDWF70 next to the existing GENERAL directory and place the F70PK.ROM file into the PDWF70 directory. Then follow the instructions below: If you format the stick via the deck it will create the directories for the deck, Since I foramtted via the camera and added the deck directory I now have a memory card that has both directories to upgrade either by haveing the upgrade package in the correct folder, be it camera and or deck.

Download the software for the website to your PC hard drive first (not a network drive). Then copy the software to the memory stick as stated in step 2.
1. Before doing any of the Memory Stick software upgrades you should save (save the bank information into one of the bank location) otherwise the menu selection will be set to the default conditions. Refer to the Operation Manual for saving the bank (menu selections). Remove any disc that may be inserted in the system.

2. Place a formatted Memory Stick by using THE DECK AND OR CAMERA to format into your PC and Place the following files into the folder MSSONY/PRO/XDCAM/PDWF70.
F70PK.ROM
3. Place the Memory Stick with the above files into the memory stick slot located on the rear panel of the deck.
4. To get the Software Version menus of the deck, hold the left arrow (IN) key depressed while pressing the Menu button. This will now display the Maintenance Menus. Use the down arrow key to get to OTHERS menu and then the right arrow to enter this menu. Select the Software Version menu.
5. Now you have a screen that is displaying the various software version of your system. While holding the “SHIFT” button click the “SET” button. The display will now show you the current version that is in your system and what is load onto the memory stick that could be downloaded into your system. To proceed with the update of the software press the “SET” button.
NOTE: If the new version does not show up on the display either the file structure is incorrect or you may be using a too large of a memory stick (128MB or less).
6. The menu will change to indicate the progress of the upgrade. First it will read the new software from the memory stick (LOADING). Then the display will change to “WRITING” the software. The progress is always will be displayed, however the progress of the % is not linear and usually shows down at 84% due to the writing of various EE ROMs or PLDs. The entire software upgrade process of reading and writing the software will take between 15 minutes to 20 minutes. Do not turn power off during this process otherwise the software could become corrupted. Do not panic if the display remains of “Writing : 84% for several minutes (even as long as 10 minutes) as this is normal.

That was my guess as I couldn't get my 350 cameras to upgrade firmware unless I formatted the memory sticks in them instead of a computer (I have all Macs- no PCs. However, I don't see a way to format a memory stick IN THE F70. Is this possible? If not, how do you do it in the camera and rename the root structure to point to the deck?

Steve Cahill March 16th, 2008 11:27 AM

You can format the card in the deck if you have the right firmware update, ( I did not) if not just use the camera to format, take out the memory card after formating with the camera put it in your computer, add the xtra directory for the deck and add the file as well in that directory.

The format cmd in the camera is under the memory card menu, see the manual to get to that menu, do not have the camera in front of me right now.

I used a PC to create the directory and bring the file over. Try the Mac well it should work.

If you use the camera you have to create a sub directory called PDWF70 next to the existing GENERAL directory and place the F70PK.ROM file into the PDWF70 directory.