No \Sub folder with the U1? Where did the proxy files go? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Trustee

No \Sub folder with the U1? Where did the proxy files go?

Installed three new U1's last week... overall, happy with the performance. Throughput is twice or more what it was before. The 2.5.1 XDCam/FCP interface is somewhat better as well. You still can't just select all and click import upon inserting a fresh disk, but you only have to wait for the thumbnails, not the entire proxy transfer.

Here's my big gripe, and I don't know what's causing this. For months we've been culling a workflow where I go out in the field and shoot, then pop the disk in the F70 upon return. I copy the entire \sub folder from the disk onto the network, and re-name it to the disk name. (Thanks to Andy Mees for cluing me into this.) I tell the producer it's ready, and they can log it using the PC software from their desk, directly over the network. It's a great workflow because (1) it's quick, 5 minutes tops, (2) the proxy media is small enough to stream over the network, (3) they don't end up with hundreds of megs (later gigs) of media on their desktop that they never get around to deleting, (4) they get to log/write at their computer with full access to the media, not on a notepad sitting in front of a deck, (5) I get the media straightaway, and I can do what I want with it, (6) there is less chance of the producer leaving the tape in a bathroom stall, or something equally obscure.

Now the \sub folder is gone... all I see is a \General and a \PROAV folder, neither of which seem to contain my proxy files.

Any idea on where they went? Nothing has been modified in the camera, so I can't imagine how anything has changed on the disk.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Also curious to see if anyone else is having trouble renaming their disks... I can no longer re-name the disk in finder before starting the transfer software, and also can no longer re-name the disk in the transfer software, resulting in many, many disks named "Untitled".

I propose re-naming the U1 to U1Beta.

-MW
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
I can no longer re-name the disk in finder before starting the transfer software, and also can no longer re-name the disk in the transfer software, resulting in many, many disks named "Untitled".
That's because the U1 does not support write back capability at the present time. You can't name a disc from Finder because it can't write that information to the disc. For now, you'll need to continue doing that by hooking up the camera or deck.

In a sense, they are still somewhat in beta until write back software updates become available. Right now, the U1 drive is simply an inexpensive (relative to deck price) ingest device.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Is there any estimate when the U1 will have write back capabilities?

Originally Sony had stated by March of this year. When I talked to Sony before buying my F335/U1/VP8 package, the engineer said it could be anywhere between May and end of the year.

Frankly, I don't see what the hold up could be other than a marketing decision.
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Trustee

Last I heard was "NAB", but they premiered the EX at NAB last year and it didn't ship for nine months. Hope I don't wait that long for the U1 update. :-)

Any thoughts on where the \sub folder went?
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Mike,

Although the U1 is a read only drive currently, it should show the full folder structure.

I saw exactly this recently, on a PC, where the disk was only showing that General and Proav folder as you mention.

I can't exactly remember what I do to cure it but I think I may have re-installed the driver and/or the PC PDZ-1 software.

Obviously different on the Mac but it sounds similar enough to maybe point to a driver (or eqivalent on the Mac) issue???

Paul.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:04 AM   #7
Major Player

BTW, the Sonybiz web site says Q1 for the update - but as they only have 1 day left, I guess it's not going to ship then.

I heard rumours of mid-summer but not sure if that's accurate or not - sure is a pain not having write capability. Maybe I'll demand some cash back until they give me everything that was promissed by the sales literature! ;)
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Trustee

Its down to their workload. The team working on the firmwares for all the devices is actually pretty small from what I can gather. They have been pretty much at full tilt getting the 700 ready along with whatever else they are probably working on for NAB. They've just fallen behind is all.

I reckon it will be out to coincide with the official release of the 700. Just a guess, I don't know anything.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Trustee

From Sony Broadcast Support:

Quote:
This is normal. what you're seeing is the USB "SAM" or "Simple Access Mode" interface. this will not afffect normal import operations using XDCAM Transfer (2.0 or higher) and Final Cut but you cannot use the U1 with Avid on the Mac until the 'Virtual Fam' (VFAM) driver is made available (Spring 08).

The reason for the different directory is that the 'FAM' layer we are used to seeing is created by the firmware on the camcorders and decks, while the U1 (which is USB 2 and not i.LINK) relies on a "Virtual FAM" (VFAM) driver to do this. XDCAM Transfer is "VFAM Capable" but until there is an actual driver for the MAC OS you will not see the Clip/Sub/Edit/General directories in Finder nor will you be able to import files into any Avid application.
So, looks like we won't see a fix to this until the next XDCam Software update.

-MW
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
Its down to their workload. The team working on the firmwares for all the devices is actually pretty small from what I can gather. They have been pretty much at full tilt getting the 700 ready along with whatever else they are probably working on for NAB. They've just fallen behind is all.

I reckon it will be out to coincide with the official release of the 700. Just a guess, I don't know anything.
I understand its going to be a few months still

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts