DVCAM quality versus DSR-300A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

DVCAM quality versus DSR-300A

I figure that the DVCAM codec in the F335 is the same as the DVCAM codec in my DSR-300A. So I was kinda surprised by some artifacts I was seeing around the edges of objects when shooting in DVCAM mode on my F335.

This was only visible when recorded, not from a live camera.

Thing is, it wasn't a fair test, since I could look at the video via HD component on a 46" screen from my F335, but not from my DSR-300A. I'm thinking looking at the playback via the Y/C on my DSR-300A may have hidden the mosquito noise versus the more detailed view from component.

Overall, all else being equal, should the DVCAM encoding look the same on my F335 versus my DSR-300A? What have the rest of you found?

Thanks.
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Trustee

It should look the same. But there are also a few factors involved such how sharp edges are handled and how your camera is set up.

DVCAM and DV can be a nightmare for this type of artefact, especially on details such as tree branches etc. Try reducing the detail setting on the camera, or turning it off altogether and see if that helps any.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Compared to my former DSR400, in my opinion, the picturequality is the same. The 350 is less sensitive. That's known. Although, on the 350 I can use up to +9dB and NR1 in the DVCAM-Mode without obviously seeing noise on my 15"CRT control monitor.
Also today, when I'm shooting with a DSR400, and i dont't like the picture. It's somehow strange, or "flat" in comparison to the really nice picture and the nice blacks on the 350. But I think thats because this DSR400 is not set up very well...
Maybe I can find a comparison. I'll post it here.
Robert Schemitsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts