DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   FCP and XDCAM HD - PROBLEM / urgent (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/117904-fcp-xdcam-hd-problem-urgent.html)

Uli Mors March 27th, 2008 03:47 AM

FCP and XDCAM HD - PROBLEM / urgent

Hi folks,

for a canadian customer I shot some footage in europe with XDCAM HD.

Settings: XDCAM HD , 35mbit/s VR (HQ)
60i (NTSC)

I uploaded the whole XDCAM HD disk (all folders) with >10GB onto a server and the editor downloaded all files.

I also gave him the xdcam transfer link , but it looks like he cant access the hd files.

Dear FCP / XDCAM HD users, please feel free to post a comment, there should be a way to work with the files - he already tried on three different macs.

?!?

Thanks

ULI

original editors comment:

"I have successfully downloaded the files. I can import the proxies with the XDCAM transfer plug in but for some reason I still can't import the full HD files. Do you have any ideas why? Can someone at your end check that the files can be imported into FCP? "

and

"I've tried on three different Macs, all running software above the
minimum requirements you've listed.
Let me know if you find someone who is importing successfully,
thanks"

I mailed those sony official requirements:

> * Mac OS X Version 10.4.7 +
> * QuickTime Version 7.1.3 +
> * Final Cut Pro Version 5.1.2 + and the actual Apple Pro
> Applications Update

Any suggestions?

Robert Schemitsch March 27th, 2008 04:08 AM

Hi Uli,

First of all, I'm not using FCP.

But, you mentioned that you loaded the files onto a server via FTP.
Maybe this is the problem.
There are 2 different ways of uploading files. Binary or ASCII. Maybe you have to use "the other" mode for the .mxf files. Binary would be ok. Maybe, because of the .xml files in the folder, your FTP-programm did't change to binary fpr the mxf-files.

>10GB is quite a lot... You could try uploading the files as ONE zip-folder.

You see, there are lot's of 'maybes'. So I'm sorry if I couldn't help, but maybe , that is the problem.

Have you tried downloading one of your files an opening it?

edit: german would have been easier, but maybe this anwer is an input for other poster ;)

Uli Mors March 27th, 2008 04:27 AM

Hi,

no I didnt. The upload was done by an IT company (with faster upload access) and the files are not on the server anymore.

The company is well experienced uploading files, so I am sure they did it right...

?

ULI

Hornady Setiawan March 27th, 2008 05:11 AM

what version of FCP transfer software have u give him?

Richard Gillespie March 27th, 2008 05:26 AM

It sounds to me like the editor is trying to open separate files and not the whole folder that contains all the files from the disc. In my experience this is a common mistake. The fact that he says "I have downloaded all the files" and not that he has downloaded the folder would suggest this to me. With the XDCAM transfer software he should simply add the folder containing all the files.

Uli Mors March 27th, 2008 06:51 AM

it was the latest download from the sony site.

// I´ll ask him to read this thread, perhaps this is the mistake...
@frank: Did you open the FOLDER in FCP or did you try to import single mxf clips??

Thanks

uli

Uli Mors March 27th, 2008 07:00 AM

The Sony XDCAM / FCP whitepaper does only mention direct access to a XDCAM drive.

Just to be sure: it DOES work with copied folder (whole disc) on the harddrive , too, correct?

Thanks

uli

Greg Boston March 27th, 2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uli Mors (Post 849268)
The Sony XDCAM / FCP whitepaper does only mention direct access to a XDCAM drive.

Just to be sure: it DOES work with copied folder (whole disc) on the harddrive , too, correct?

Thanks

uli

Yes, but you need to copy all of the CLIP, EDIT, SUB, and GENERAL folders from the disc into a single folder (give the same name as the XDCAM disc just to be organized). Point the XDCAM Transfer tool to THE FOLDER YOU CREATED which has all the other disc directories within it. XDCAM Transfer is expecting a certain directory tree structure with absolute directory names. It needs all of the directories. I have done this for a client in the past and it was no problem.

-gb-

Uli Mors March 27th, 2008 08:33 AM

Works!

"just to confirm that I have been able to import the files by importing
the entire folder. A simple solution is always nice..."

Thanks to everybody!

I just received an email that the import worked.

I REALLY appreciate the quality of this forum and the friendly people I find here.

Cheers

ULI