DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Anyone visiting NAB? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/118858-anyone-visiting-nab.html)

Uli Mors April 8th, 2008 01:09 AM

Anyone visiting NAB?

Is anyone attending NAB?

I am curious about U1 firmware updates (write abilities)...

ULi

Phil Bloom April 8th, 2008 01:11 AM

yeah i am going, as far as I know the u1 write capability is coming in a few months

Alister Chapman April 8th, 2008 01:13 AM

See you there Phil, I'll be on the Sony booth much of the time. You'll be able to check out my Arctic and Northern Lights footage.

Eugene Kosarovich April 8th, 2008 01:40 AM

I will also be at NAB.

In fact, it was my attending one of the semi-private seminars on XDCAM HD at NAB 2007 that convinced me that XDCAM HD was right for my business needs.

I'm blanking on the name of the presenter, but he was the DP for a Discovery HD show about a spear fisherman.

Anyway, hopefully I'll get to meet you guys. I'm just a newbie with XDCAM HD for now, but I hope to learn quickly.

Greg Boston April 8th, 2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene Kosarovich (Post 856247)
I will also be at NAB.

In fact, it was my attending one of the semi-private seminars on XDCAM HD at NAB 2007 that convinced me that XDCAM HD was right for my business needs.

I'm blanking on the name of the presenter, but he was the DP for a Discovery HD show about a spear fisherman.

Anyway, hopefully I'll get to meet you guys. I'm just a newbie with XDCAM HD for now, but I hope to learn quickly.

That was Robin Berg. His show is Speargun Hunter on the Outdoor Living Network. Did you not attend my presentation as well?

Congratulations on getting the F335. Once you exploit the full potential of the workflow, you'll be amazed.

Like Alister, I'll be at the Sony Booth this year. Not doing a classroom presentation this time. I'll be in the booth showing various NLE software with XDCAM EX.

Hope to see everyone there!

-gb-

Emanuel Altenburger April 8th, 2008 11:15 AM

I desperately wanted to come to NAB 08 but Iīll be in Uli-land (germany - hi uli) for the next days and canīt make it - unfortunately ----- makes me a bit sad to be honest. Next year.

Eugene Kosarovich April 8th, 2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 856374)
That was Robin Berg. His show is Speargun Hunter on the Outdoor Living Network. Did you not attend my presentation as well?

Congratulations on getting the F335. Once you exploit the full potential of the workflow, you'll be amazed.

Like Alister, I'll be at the Sony Booth this year. Not doing a classroom presentation this time. I'll be in the booth showing various NLE software with XDCAM EX.

Hope to see everyone there!

-gb-

Yeah, that's who it was. No, unfortunately that was the only presentation I was able attend last year, they booked up really quickly. Though ironically only half of the people that had booked it actually showed up.

They all booked very quickly this year as well. The only one I'm signed up for is the one on the new hybrid HDV camcorders. I wanted to see if they could be useful B-roll cameras for me.

I had considered signing up for the one on XDCAM and FCP, but I don't use FCP, so I figured I wouldn't get enough out of that one.

Tim Allison April 9th, 2008 08:26 AM

We're bringing two people from Mississippi State University. Greg, I'll try to find you, and thank you in person for all of the help and advice you give on this forum.

Greg Boston April 9th, 2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Allison (Post 856975)
We're bringing two people from Mississippi State University. Greg, I'll try to find you, and thank you in person for all of the help and advice you give on this forum.

I'll be easy to find. See the above post. Of course there will be lunch breaks so I might not be in the booth around mid day.

-gb-

Uli Mors April 10th, 2008 01:54 AM

@emanuel:

If youīre close to Ruhrgebiet (Dortmund) come over and letīs have a beer together!

ULI

Mitchell Skurnik April 10th, 2008 09:21 PM

Turns out I might need to shoot something next Thursday (last day of the show) in Vegas :)

Eelco Romeijn April 11th, 2008 10:38 AM

@ anyone who's going:

There's rumours going round that Adobe will announce MXF support for XDcam (EX) for PremierePro CS3.

If there's any news, i'll be delighted to hear from you.

Happy NAB-ing!

Mike Watson April 14th, 2008 11:41 PM

Nab

Man, one day at NAB, and I'm beat. I stopped by the Sony booth and had Greg paged, but didn't hear back from him. I suppose I could have used the weeks and months leading up to NAB to arrange something, but... that's producer work, if you ask me. :-)

EX3 looks nice, if not expensive. EX1 still seems the way to go for me for that range of camera. The HDV shoulder mount cameras were (again) nice, but overpriced. Every year Sony builds that huge shooting gallery for the pro cams, but every year I feel it has mediocre depth of field and bad lighting. Shadows everywhere, and flat faces.

Was nice to get my hands on the F355, but my F350 will have to do for now!

Hope those of you staying in Vegas for the long haul have fun. :-)

Greg Boston April 18th, 2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 860662)
I stopped by the Sony booth and had Greg paged, but didn't hear back from him.

Sorry about that. I don't think I would have heard it. Pretty noisy and I was hammered Mon-Wed with people checking out EX workflow.

We had an update for FCP just prior to the show, an upate from Avid and Adobe during the show. Talk about a moving target on getting folks the proper info. But at least Alister and I finally got to meet. Hopefully next year, Mike.

-gb-

Eugene Kosarovich April 19th, 2008 11:20 PM

Sorry I didn't actually get to meet any of you at NAB, I had a lot to see and though I definitely did hang around the Sony booth a bit, I didn't run into any of you.

I did have a good talk with Dave Sperling, one of the DPs that Sony brought in to talk about XDCAM HD. Turns out some of his jobs are similar to the stuff I do, so we talked about some of the custom settings in the camera that work well for what he does.

And Greg, I'm happy to report I bought literally the last one of your VASST F330/F350 training DVDs at the South Hall NAB store. I know there were a bunch earlier in the week when I was just looking at the stuff in the store, so you should get some good money from that. :)

The Sony people I talked to promised the U1 writing firmware update in the June/July timeframe. I also saw the current U1 working with the 4:2:2 1920X1080 50Mb/s footage from the PDW-700 into Vegas Pro 8.

As for the EX3, I think it's certainly an interesting evolution of the EX1, but there is one thing that is annoying about it, and that annoyed Fujinon also from what they told me. The fact that it is a 1/2" chip camera with a Sony hot shoe bayonet mount, but of a different diameter than the ones we have on our XDCAM HD cameras! Fujinon told me they were quite surprised when Sony told them the diameter was different for the mount. This means there are really only two lenses directly compatible for this "interchangeable" lens camera.

Further, though Sony showed mockups for a 2/3" to 1/2" adapter and a 1/2" to 1/2" adapter, Fujinon said to me that though the 2/3" to 1/2" wasn't a problem, the 1/2" to 1/2" was due to back flange distance or something like that. So I'll be interested to see what really happens with that. Fujinon also said they didn't plan to be selling the lenses directly to customers, but through Sony in bundles only. (Granted, maybe the Fujinon guy I talked to didn't know what he was talking about, you never know.)