Definitions of all the menu settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 10th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Definitions of all the menu settings

Is there any manual/book/pdf out there that gives more complete definitions of the settings in the 84 pages of menus in my F335? Maybe just a general reference book on this topic, if the terms are not Sony-specific? Though I have a feeling the majority of the ones I don't understand probably are Sony-specific. I did ask Sony, and they said they have an internal document that defines them, but it's not public.

I mean, honestly, most of the "definitions" in the user manual are merely spelling out what the abbreviations are.

I can figure out a lot of them, but some of them I just have never encountered before and I'm really just guessing at what they do.

For instance, I'm using the paint settings that Uli kindly posted in another thread, and they're working great, but I want to customize them a bit more.

And when I look at something in the Detail menu that is called "Knee Aperature Level", I really don't know what it means. Since it's in the Detail menu, I would guess something like detail level in post-knee compressed area, but I'm not sure. The normal default is 0, and it stays set at 0 in the Sony provided scene files I've checked. While the custom settings crank it all the way to its max of 164, so I'm very curious what it does.

But anyway, that's just one example.

Thanks.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello Eugene,

I think that this is what you are looking for!

http://www.liquidgate.it/freestuff/f...logyBasics.pdf

hope this helps!
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #3
Wrangler

At the risk of shameless self promotion...

I covered all pages of the menu in this DVD. It won't have everything that the 335 has, but a large portion will still apply.

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...f-b3e5e55f80d5

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Excellent, thanks to both of you.

Greg, do you expect a newer version of your DVD to be coming out more specifically geared to the F335/F355, or is this one close enough that a revision isn't needed?
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Kosarovich View Post
Excellent, thanks to both of you.

Greg, do you expect a newer version of your DVD to be coming out more specifically geared to the F335/F355, or is this one close enough that a revision isn't needed?
The main difference is that the 335 will have a dual layer drive, is no longer gray colored, and comes with the higher grade 16:9 VF. It still leaves out over/under crank and uses component HD vs HDSDI, RCA out instead of 5 pin XLR, and TC in/out shared vs. individual connections on the 350/355.

Some firmware updates for the F350 have already made this DVD lacking in some information WRT low noise mode and analog output power save disable.

So as I said, a majority of the material is still relevant.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts