PDW-700 XDCAM HD422 goes solid state at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Major Player

PDW-700 XDCAM HD422 goes solid state

Taken from Simon his website:

Well, I hate to say I told you so, but I've predicted this for a while now.

The new 2/3" PDW-700 XDCAM HD will have the option of being able to record to SxS solid state cards via plugin card that fits into the expansion slot at the rear of the camera. Usually this slot is used for wireless mic receivers, so this may cause a conflict with those who need that capability at the same time. However this is a good move for Sony as it will allow the 700 to have the advantages of a solid state workflow, say for breaking news style assignments, and also the better long form abilities of Professional Disc.

Sony have tried something similar before on the standard def XDCAM cameras. Although that device could only record the low resolution proxy files to Memory Stick and never caught on.

Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Now if you can record to card and disc at the same time - built in archiving!
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Let us hope that this SxS recorder also will work with the PDW-F335 and F355.
Old April 14th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Mmm - I wasn't aware the connector on the F350/355 had a video signal on it too would be interesting if it does. Or more likely the new connector has extra pins but is backwards compatible with the old one???
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #5
Trustee

I doubt this will work with the 350/355. The interface inside the expansion slot on the 700 is totally different to anything that is on the 300 series.

Also the device is more than likely to be designed to fit flush with the 700 both at the top, but the rest of it is probably bare metal, just like the expansion devices that used to fit into the same area on the standard def cameras. In other words, not something you'd want to have on a camera exterior

Although having said that, the 300 series does have that expansion slot add on I suppose. So... maybe :-) But it would all depend if Sony had designed the 350/355 with such an application in mind. Somehow I doubt it.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Simon - is the expansion slot in the same place as the F350? From your pics, it looks like it doesn't exist at all? Is it behind the battery?
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #7
Trustee

The 700 is based on the same body design as the standard def cameras (the ones most people forget exist!). The expansion slot is just behind the rear of the top handle. You won't be able to see it because there is a screw attached cover covering it up when it is not being used.
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #8
Major Player

Ah OK thanks Simon (and your SD camera ;) )

So does it have a compatible connector for the WR855 and associated tuner (horizontally mounted below the battery plate)? or is this now done through the expansion slot?
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #9
Trustee

The expansion slot on the 700 and the 510/530 SD cameras is designed primarily for devices such as the WR855, yes. But on the 700/530/510 it mounts vertically (you can see the pictures of the 700 with one attached with the two aerials sticking out, or on this picture of the 530 http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowP...DCAMCamcorders
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #10
Major Player

Ah I think I see now - the SD and 700 cameras have the slot where the wireless receiver slots straight in. The 350 etc has to use the WR855 holder which the receiver then slots into.

So I should be able to drop my current receiver straight into the camera (I I ever decided to get one that is!!!)
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #11
Trustee

Yep, thats it :-)
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
I doubt this will work with the 350/355. The interface inside the expansion slot on the 700 is totally different to anything that is on the 300 series.

Also the device is more than likely to be designed to fit flush with the 700 both at the top, but the rest of it is probably bare metal, just like the expansion devices that used to fit into the same area on the standard def cameras. In other words, not something you'd want to have on a camera exterior

Although having said that, the 300 series does have that expansion slot add on I suppose. So... maybe :-) But it would all depend if Sony had designed the 350/355 with such an application in mind. Somehow I doubt it.
Remember the Sony DSR-DU1 harddisk recorder that could be attached to the back of the DSR-3xx and DSR-5xx serie?

That HD recorder also had a different adapter then the CA-WRR855.

So maybe there will be a chance that it also will be available for the 1/2" XDCAM HD serie.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #13
Trustee

Maybe, but it is all dependent on whether Sony have built in any form of connection between recording and encoding to that interface. Something that I doubt. It would also need a firmware update too.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
Taken from Simon his website:

........... but I've predicted this for a while now........

........... Usually this slot is used for wireless mic receivers, so this may cause a conflict with those who need that capability at the same time......

The capability must be seen as very welcome - optical disc AND solid state abilities give it a big edge over either by itself.

But I'm also less impressed if it ties up the wireless mic slot, especially as that is designed to take the new digital mics. I can see the people who are most likely to want SxS/disc are those who will want the integral receivers - shame they haven't gone for an arrangement like the CF module on the S270.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
Maybe, but it is all dependent on whether Sony have built in any form of connection between recording and encoding to that interface. Something that I doubt. It would also need a firmware update too.
I kind of asked about this and didn't get an outright no for an answer. But when I get back home, I will look at the schematics to see what signal lines are going to/from the connector on the F350.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts