XDCam HD and AVID at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 7th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCam HD and AVID

I usually edit my XDCam HD material in Final Cut Pro, but will shortly be supplying a client who edits in AVID.

I'd like to know which AVID systems can work with the XDCam quicktime files downloaded onto an external hard drive using XDCam Transfer 2.5.1.

Also, are the low rez proxy files generated by XDCam Transfer "viewable" on a different computer or do they require the XDCam Transfer software to watch them?

Thanks

Kalunga
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi,

Iīm on an Avid Media Composer system. Normally it takes all different kinds of Quicktime files. But why donīt you just copy your cameraīs MXF files onto an external hard drive and provide your client with these files? Are they pre-edited?

Best,
Emanuel
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for your reply.

I always download what I've shot into my MacBok Pro so that I can see my material, especially on a multiple day shoot. This time since I'm not editing, the plan was to copy the quicktime files obtained from the XDCam transfer process into a small external hard drive and sent it to the client via courier, keeping the original optical disks as back up. I just need to confirm that my AVID client can actually work with those quicktime files.
kalunga
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

As far as I know you can always import Quicktimes on all Avid platforms (Xpress Pro, Media Composer etc.) so that shouldnīt be a problem.

But I would recommend providing your client with a 1to1 copy of the cameraīs MXF files on your ext. drive. Your client will be able to import MXF files much faster than quicktime files. Just today I imported qt-files into my Avid and it needed much longer than an MXF file import. Thatīs my experience.
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts