Overcrank/Undercrank w/ f355 camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 12th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Overcrank/Undercrank w/ f355 camera

We just started playing with this feature. It appears that overcranking and undercranking is available only when shooting in 30P or 24P, and not when shooting in 60i. Is this correct?

Also, the special effects menu gave us all sorts of options from 4P up to 30P, and then a jump all the way up to 60P. That tells me that I have a good deal of flexibility to speed up the action by undercranking anywhere between 4 and 30 frames per second. But it also tells me that my slo-mo options are limited to 60P, which is basically 50% of live-action. Am I understanding this correctly?
Tim Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That is correct- only in 24P or 30P do you have the variable framerate. We have firmware upgraded F350's and to enable the frame rate from 30 to 60 you'll need to go into your Maintenace menu on page 6 (CAM config) and under Slow Motion change it from "Normal" to "Expand". I'm pretty confident it is done the same way on F355's.
Gene Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bauer View Post
That is correct- only in 24P or 30P do you have the variable framerate. We have firmware upgraded F350's and to enable the frame rate from 30 to 60 you'll need to go into your Maintenace menu on page 6 (CAM config) and under Slow Motion change it from "Normal" to "Expand". I'm pretty confident it is done the same way on F355's.
It is, and the ability to expand the slow mo to 31 through 60 has been available from the beginning on the F350.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Bear in mind that you only get half the vertical resolution (1440 x 540), but by all acconts it still looks pretty good.
Any reason though why this would be preferable to de-intelacing in post (apart from time-saving)? It always looks a bit jittery in post de-interlacing, but I've heard that done in camera it looks super smooth - so is there more going on in there thn just de-interlacing?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts