DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   350 Firewire Out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/124447-350-firewire-out.html)

Dan Brazda June 24th, 2008 06:09 AM

350 Firewire Out

FAM mode simply stopped working. Tried different cables, firewire ports, computers...etc... Anyone run into this before? Solutions?

Bob Willis June 24th, 2008 07:39 AM

Check two things:
1. On output option of Operation menu change ilink option to AV/C to see if ilink connector is still working.
2. Check version of FAM driver. Have you updated anything lately? Reinstall driver.

Other than that, it may be your ilink connection has bit the dust.

Dan Brazda June 24th, 2008 10:40 AM

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately everything is pointing at a bad firewire port. When I hook up one of my other 350s to the same computer, using the same Firewire cable and all the same menu settings, one works perfectly and the other won't go into FAM. I just want to make sure there are no fool-proof tests to be absolutely sure the port is fried so I don't send it off to Sony for nothing. I'm running out of ideas.

Bob Willis June 24th, 2008 12:58 PM

Well, if it doesn't work in AV/C mode or FAM and the other components check out, I think you have a blown firewire port.

Alister Chapman June 25th, 2008 03:49 AM

I Would ditch the FireWire cable you have been using before you blow another camera. Its normally badly constructed FireWire connectors that allow the power and data pins to short. Use good quality cables to minimise the risk of it happening again.

Greg Boston June 26th, 2008 10:31 AM

Yours would not be the first F350 to suffer this fate. There was a demo camera going around this area a year or so ago that had a bad firewire port on it. I found out because I kept getting calls asking what they were doing wrong.

And as Alister suggests, good quality cables and connectors can reduce the likelihood of further damage in the future.

Sorry to hear that you're having such a run of bad luck, but I'm glad you didn't end up paying for the disc loader issue a while back.

-gb-

Dan Brazda June 26th, 2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 899127)
Yours would not be the first F350 to suffer this fate. There was a demo camera going around this area a year or so ago that had a bad firewire port on it. I found out because I kept getting calls asking what they were doing wrong.

And as Alister suggests, good quality cables and connectors can reduce the likelihood of further damage in the future.

Sorry to hear that you're having such a run of bad luck, but I'm glad you didn't end up paying for the disc loader issue a while back.

-gb-

Thanks Greg. Yeah, when it rains it pours. I didn't mention a recent accident with one of our lenses either but my rep at Fuji is incredible and sent us a loaner overnight. Long story short, all three of our 350s are in the field making pictures as we speak (albeit a bit battered and bruised).