350 Firewire Out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 24th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

350 Firewire Out

FAM mode simply stopped working. Tried different cables, firewire ports, computers...etc... Anyone run into this before? Solutions?
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Check two things:
1. On output option of Operation menu change ilink option to AV/C to see if ilink connector is still working.
2. Check version of FAM driver. Have you updated anything lately? Reinstall driver.

Other than that, it may be your ilink connection has bit the dust.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately everything is pointing at a bad firewire port. When I hook up one of my other 350s to the same computer, using the same Firewire cable and all the same menu settings, one works perfectly and the other won't go into FAM. I just want to make sure there are no fool-proof tests to be absolutely sure the port is fried so I don't send it off to Sony for nothing. I'm running out of ideas.
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, if it doesn't work in AV/C mode or FAM and the other components check out, I think you have a blown firewire port.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I Would ditch the FireWire cable you have been using before you blow another camera. Its normally badly constructed FireWire connectors that allow the power and data pins to short. Use good quality cables to minimise the risk of it happening again.
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Wrangler

Yours would not be the first F350 to suffer this fate. There was a demo camera going around this area a year or so ago that had a bad firewire port on it. I found out because I kept getting calls asking what they were doing wrong.

And as Alister suggests, good quality cables and connectors can reduce the likelihood of further damage in the future.

Sorry to hear that you're having such a run of bad luck, but I'm glad you didn't end up paying for the disc loader issue a while back.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Yours would not be the first F350 to suffer this fate. There was a demo camera going around this area a year or so ago that had a bad firewire port on it. I found out because I kept getting calls asking what they were doing wrong.

And as Alister suggests, good quality cables and connectors can reduce the likelihood of further damage in the future.

Sorry to hear that you're having such a run of bad luck, but I'm glad you didn't end up paying for the disc loader issue a while back.

-gb-
Thanks Greg. Yeah, when it rains it pours. I didn't mention a recent accident with one of our lenses either but my rep at Fuji is incredible and sent us a loaner overnight. Long story short, all three of our 350s are in the field making pictures as we speak (albeit a bit battered and bruised).
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts