Is there a definitive XDCam HD/Blu Ray authoring work flow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is there a definitive XDCam HD/Blu Ray authoring work flow?

Hi,

i'm curious to know if there is a definitive XDCam HD / Blu-ray authoring workflow/solution for Mac/Final Cut Pro? I'm abut to edit DVD of a live concert and would like to have a Blu-ray edition as well (the whole point of having invested in HD in the first place), but it appears as if there is still some issues with Toast v.9

thanks
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've done it a few times using FCP, Compressor, Encore and Toast 8. Create a disc image in Encore, then burn it with Toast using Copy>Image File
Warren Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Major Player

As I also do freelance training work for SONY & Sony Creative Software I can WARMLY recommend VEGAS as the fastest workflow - excelling all other NLEs since the software development is that close to hardware engineering.

Here is how it works:

Vegas has an integrated "XDCAM Viewer" - the first time you open a disk with it you are asked if Vegas is to import the disk with proxies only or with hires files too.
As usual, transferring proxies only needs some minutes.
After transfer you have access to the "disk" and all disks you imported earlier (as long as you dont delete them from the vegas xdcam folder).

Now you can work with the proxies (or hires) , Vegas plays hundreds of formats native. Combine 1080i 720p 1920x1080 , SD Formats, Bitmaps on the same timeline (other NLEs offer this as a feature today, Vegas always did it).

When you finished editing , Vegas will prompt you to insert the discs needed to import partial hires, after that you have all desired hires files in the timeline automatically.

a) export to any format: 720p 25 / 50, 1080i, full 1080i , 1080p, xdcam , sd , mpg, whatever.

b) if you want to distribute a BD FAST: Burn a AV-BD from the timeline (it burns ONE file without menus, but playable on nearly every stand-alone player)

c) export HD-MPG or HD-264 for authoring a BluRay Disc within the new DVD Architect Software. It now does author DVDs and/or BluRays.

d) export the movie (xdcam hd) back to XDCAM Disk for mastering / archiving

If you compare this workflow to AVID , FCP or any other NLE - its faster and more integrated.

Especially the integrated partial FAM import is awesome.

Cheers

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

But Uli, how do I run Vegas on my Mac?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:55 AM   #5
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Well, you could use BootCamp to have your Mac dual bootable into Windows as well from a separate partition. Just an idea.

I really do need to second what Uli said, I don't work for Sony, but I've been using Vegas Pro 8 for my XDCAM HD editing since I got the F335 early this year, and it really does integrate amazingly well with Vegas Pro 8, for all the reasons Uli mentioned.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #6
Major Player

I´ve never tried if Vegas runs on a MAC with Windows (Bootcamp etc.), and I doubt it works flawlessly.

At the moment I use a quadcore Intel CPU System and working with HDV + XDCAM HD works easy, rendertimes are fine.

You are right, you did ask for a workflow with FCP...

uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalunga Lima View Post
Hi,

i'm curious to know if there is a definitive XDCam HD / Blu-ray authoring workflow/solution for Mac/Final Cut Pro? I'm abut to edit DVD of a live concert and would like to have a Blu-ray edition as well (the whole point of having invested in HD in the first place), but it appears as if there is still some issues with Toast v.9

thanks
To go to Blu-ray DVD you need the burner installed. With Pioneer and the Mac Pro you have to use a Cable adapter to get from Sata to 4 pin. I know the Adobe Encore workflow will work from FCP, so you would need Adobe CS3. Toast 9 has a Blu-ray HD plugin that should enable burning to Blu-ray DVD, but I don't know how well it will interface with FCP.

It is not easy or cheap but it is possible. You could always burn a HD file to disc for now and hope Mac/FCP fills the need in the near future.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Vegas works fine with either boot camp or parallels. I use it under parallels for file conversion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts