DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   PDW-700 & 18Mb/s codec (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/126518-pdw-700-18mb-s-codec.html)

Trell Mitchell July 23rd, 2008 11:40 AM

PDW-700 & 18Mb/s codec

On the Sony website, I noticed that the PDW-700 WILL NOT have the capability of recording in the 18 Mb/s codec, even after software upgrades such as... SD: IMX & DVCAM.
Is sony phasing out the 18Mb/s? Sony notes that the PDW-700 will only PLAYBACK 18 Mb/s.

Check out link below to read specs:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-x...roduct-PDW700/

I know most of you guys are thinking that 18 Mb/s may be a waste of time in comparison to the better codecs such as 35 Mbs & 50 Mbs. However, I can use the 18 Mb/s on non-broadcast type of recordings.

Alister Chapman July 23rd, 2008 12:29 PM

It may be like many other hi-end Sony DVCAM products that will playback long play but not record it, while the low end products still have the option to record in long play.

Simon Wyndham July 23rd, 2008 01:43 PM

Sounds a bit odd really since the 18Mbps mode was done for compatibility with broadcast MPEG whatamewidgets :-)

However on closer inspection it is perfectly logical. The OVERALL compression ratio of the picture would have to be far less than 18Mbps in order to accommodate the 4:2:2 colour sampling.

If they did implement it it would have to be in 4:2:0 colourspace.

I don't see why it should be a problem really. If you can afford a 700 you can certainly afford the discs! Even at 35Mbps you would be getting long recording times on dual layer media. I'm not sure what possible advantage there would be for having an 18Mbps mode considering that Sony only put this on the 1/2" cameras as a kind of legacy recording mode for compatibility with some broadcast systems AFAIK.

Greg Boston July 23rd, 2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham (Post 911044)
Sounds a bit odd really since the 18Mbps mode was done for compatibility with broadcast MPEG whatamewidgets :-)

However on closer inspection it is perfectly logical. The OVERALL compression ratio of the picture would have to be far less than 18Mbps in order to accommodate the 4:2:2 colour sampling.

If they did implement it it would have to be in 4:2:0 colourspace.

I don't see why it should be a problem really. If you can afford a 700 you can certainly afford the discs! Even at 35Mbps you would be getting long recording times on dual layer media. I'm not sure what possible advantage there would be for having an 18Mbps mode considering that Sony only put this on the 1/2" cameras as a kind of legacy recording mode for compatibility with some broadcast systems AFAIK.

I was informed that it was put there for compatibility with digital microwave and sat bandwidth. The extra recording time is just a bonus.

-gb-

Peter Newsom July 24th, 2008 07:39 AM

I will soon do a test in 18mbs for my client. They already use it for archiving their HD sportsnews broadcast, and re-broadcast the footage daily. They think it looks fine.

I will have to see what motion artifacts might arise when shooting hockey b-roll, but for scrums etc, it may be quite good.

The big advantage is that files are half the size when sending via ftp, and the same at the other end when loading the material into Rhozet for transcoding. This comes in handy for quick turnarounds of post game clips.

I notice that I can switch bit-rates without re-formating my disks, so perhaps I will try mixing bit rates depending on the nature of the shot.

Trell Mitchell July 24th, 2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 911076)
I was informed that it was put there for compatibility with digital microwave and sat bandwidth. The extra recording time is just a bonus.

-gb-

I guess the only way to obtain 18Mps for the PDW-700 is through Sony's recently developed HDCA-702 MPEG TS Adaptor; for the purpose of Sat and Micro transmission only.
See Sony's Link, then go to "Downloads/ Description" tab to open pdf.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-x...roduct-PDW700/

Uli Mors July 25th, 2008 02:09 AM

hmmm...

when SONY came out with HD Camcorders with 4:2:0 and 35mbit/s VBR everybody wanted higher bitrates + better color sampling.

Now as the f700 hits the ground, people are asking for lower bitrates (and lower sampling)???

ULi

David Heath July 25th, 2008 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uli Mors (Post 911764)
Now as the f700 hits the ground, people are asking for lower bitrates (and lower sampling)???

Different courses, different horses. What people are asking for is the ability to choose their horse depending which course they're riding today.

Simon Wyndham July 26th, 2008 03:56 PM

Depends. Because the 18Mbps mode was done for compatibility with digital mw as Greg mentioned, Sony may have found that nobody was using it. But in any case don't expect 18Mbps with 4:2:2. The compression ratio would be horrendous.