DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   PDW700 and lens tests (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/129518-pdw700-lens-tests.html)

Steve Phillipps September 7th, 2008 09:02 AM

PDW700 and lens tests

Had a chance to check out the PDW700 alongside an HDW750 and an F355, just sharing my random observations.

The 700 is really, really, sharp! It's also the most nosie-free camera I've seen. I put in Alan Roberts' BBC settings (not yet published but soon will be). Got it to look quite similar to the 750, but it was always looking clearer and sharper.
It's well-built, heavy, and draws a lot of power (I'm sure it runs the batts down quicker than the 750). The trigger button is nice, as it has an incredibly light press to it so you can activate it with the slightest touch so not wobbling the image with a long lens on. Interval timer not yet operational. I shot 25P, and for some reason it seemed quite a bit more blurry on motion than the 750 - anyone know why this might be? The same is tru of the F355.
The LCD screen is crap (just like the F355). Thumbnails take a long time to come up compared to the F355 (presumably 'cos they are larger files?)

Also tried a Fujinon HA22 and a Canon HJ22 side by side and I know there are often Canon vs Fuji questions so it might be of interest to some that I saw absolutely no difference between them at all in any way (except the Canon had a smoother focus ring).
Also tried a Canon 150-600 vs. the HJ22 at 150mm and 300mm, and it was pretty close, the HD lens having a slight edge, no more.
Also put a Canon J15 SD lens on it. In the centre it was about the same as the HJ22, but edger were softer.

Hope this is of use to some of you.
Steve

Greg Boston September 7th, 2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 930455)
Also put a Canon J15 SD lens on it. In the centre it was about the same as the HJ22, but edger were softer.

That's not unlike the observations of others who have tried SD lenses on HD cameras. The SD lenses hold their own in the center, but tend to go soft on the edges.

Even though the LCD may be less than stellar, the VF I had a chance to use was awesome with its higher resolution. My first question was could it be mated to the F-350. The short answer... no. Dang it!

Thanks for the info.

-gb-

Steve Phillipps September 7th, 2008 09:45 AM

Yes it is a shame about the VF on the F355, apparently the VF output is only SD, and it's the same on a Panny HPX500 I used once - not the sharpest cam out there anyway, but when you can't see to focus it doesn't help it much!
I've used the Sony C35 VF on the Phantom HD camera and it's really nice, and as the VF is just an option on the PDW700 it'd be tempting to go for that, just another couple of thousand...
Steve

Thierry Humeau September 7th, 2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 930455)
Had a chance to check out the PDW700 alongside an HDW750 and an F355, just sharing my random observations.

The 700 is really, really, sharp! It's also the most nosie-free camera I've seen. I put in Alan Roberts' BBC settings (not yet published but soon will be). Got it to look quite similar to the 750, but it was always looking clearer and sharper.
...Steve

Hey Steve,

I'd love to try Alan's settings on the 700. Do you know when and where his settings will be published?

Thanks.

Thierry.

Steve Phillipps September 7th, 2008 11:39 AM

They are due to be published on the BBC R&D website I think. I'll PM you with it.
Steve

Simon Wyndham September 18th, 2008 03:18 AM

Quote:

I shot 25P, and for some reason it seemed quite a bit more blurry on motion than the 750 - anyone know why this might be? The same is tru of the F355.
You haven't turned the shutter on to 1/50th. If you don't turn the shutter on it will be 1/25th which is why you have the blurry motion.

Steve Phillipps September 18th, 2008 04:13 AM

No, I always shoot 180 degree shutter (ie 1/50th in this instance). Did also try with higher shutter speeds to see if it made a difference but it didn't. Will try to post some footage if I can.
Steve

Simon Wyndham September 18th, 2008 04:19 AM

Sounds like the early firmware I had on the pre-production model then. That could do 25p but the shutter had no effect. When you turn the shutter on do you notice any loss of light?

Sounds like a bit of a cock up on Sony's part.