mxf + standalone player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old September 9th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #1
Major Player

mxf + standalone player

Since XDCAM is mp@hl based I wonder if there are any small hardware media players like

TVIX, Kiss, or Popcorn a100 Mediaplayer

play the xdcam hd files DIRECTLY without retranscoding.

After reading a review I found that some of these boxes can play mpg ts or m2t files directly without any transcoding. That would be perfect for a fast presentation (think of an event where you like to show parts of the event in the pause or after the show).

Of course, the mediaplayers dont know *.mxf

a) Is there a way to unwrap mxf files into a mpg format?
b) 25mbit CBR is somewhat "HDV-Like", would at least THIS format be changable into a m2t format without recoding?

Any ideas highly appreciated

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #2
New Boot

Uli,

Cineform Aspect HD can rewrap the MXF container in an MOV of AVI file.
Aspect HD isn' t cheap however.....but... I also use it to make high quality SD downconverts from the Premiere CS3 timeline.

Richard
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

We just use the free Sony xdcam viewer (full screen mode) on a laptop connected through VGA to a large flatpanel or at the WXGA laptopscreen itself.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #4
Major Player

@richard: does it with no transcoding (so does it the unwrap FAST?)?

@eelco: Thats exactly what I want to avoid, I need a small "box" to be screwed onto/behind a wall or behind the screen itself when standing on a stand.

uli
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Uli,

No, it does a transcode.
I've tested it on my system which is an Intel Quad Core 2.66Ghz with 4Gb RAM and a 1 Gb MXF file takes about 90 seconds te transcode.

Richard
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #6
Major Player

hmmm....

the thing is : MXF is only a wrapper for mpg files (mp@hl CBR/VBR), I am sure that there exists a program to unwrap the mpg out of the mxf files again.

Then, a standalone player like A-100 should play those files.

My idea is to have a fast way to playout footage from a previos recording. And I want to avoi a) to buy a XDCAM HD player b) to use a laptop c) to transcode...

m2t files can be played straight out of the box , so I am looking for a way to access the XDCAM HD via mpg...

Lets investigate some more...
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, MXF is a container and yes, the EX data is MPEG2. Unfortunately the player need to support the specific Sony codec implementation even if you 'pour' it in another container (like AVI or QT).

But even if it did, the bitrate is much too high (even at SP) for simple players to handle. These are designed for DVD playback at best (10Mb/s).

This is what proxy files were created for but which the EX doesn't have. So you are stuck with:
- transcoding it to a lower bitrate format that you can play on the player of your choice
- or you playback from the camera (component maybe)
- or if you have an external recorder you can use that to either simultaneously record for immediate playback
- or if the external recorder is your primary rec. device you may be able to use that as a player (like the FlashXDR/nanoFlash)

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi,

I am sorry, but you are wrong.

At least some players (I read reviews of TVIX and Popcorn A-100) can play m2t seamless from the harddrive.

In the A100 the codec chip comes from PS3, so probably can handle even higher data rates (ok, thats suggestion).

At least it CAN play m2t = 25mbits.

XDCAM HD is the same data rate and compression is "HDV-family" mp@hl CBR.

I could imagine that the player would play mxf files when in the right file format.
But YES, thats a suggestion too, but worth a try...

ULI
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors View Post
I am sorry, but you are wrong.
That has never happened before! ;-)

I've checked the A-100/A-110 specs and they claim playback up to at least 40Mb/s. So you indeed seem to be good there.

The Clip Browser can rewrap to MOV. Maybe that will do?

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Hey, thats a good idea!

Well.. I was talking about XDCAM HD (pdw-f330), but somebody should check the EX -> MOV...

Anyway, I will buy a A-100 soon, it would be a nice try to see if the A-100 plays those XDCAM EX MOVs....

There must be a way to unwrap the mxfs from XDCAM HD , too...
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #11
Major Player

I purchased one.

Encoding video files in mpg hd (mpg2 HD) with 35mbit/s works find, pic results in the popcorn a110 are fantastic.

I also tried simply renaming a XDCAM EX 25mbit mxf file (from clip browser) into ".mpg" and put it on the player - IT PLAYS THE FILE (didnt check audio, its not connected yet) , but begins to stutter after a few seconds.
So generally, the unit can decode the xdcam hd code , but probably not fast enough...

Thats strange, since he fluently plays hdv and hdv files with higher data rates...

IŽll investigate a bit more.

ULI
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Trustee

Get the Snell and Wilcox MXF Desktop. It's a free mxf unwrapping utility. It unwraps the mpeg-2 from the mxf container without transcoding, but you have to encode the audio separately. I don't have a link, but do a search. It was free, but I recall I had to request a password which they emailed me withing 2-3 days.

It's much faster than any kind of transcoding, and lossless quality, but whether any of these new media players can support 35mbps would be interesting to know.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Get the Snell and Wilcox MXF Desktop. It's a free mxf unwrapping utility. It unwraps the mpeg-2 from the mxf container without transcoding, but you have to encode the audio separately. I don't have a link, but do a search. It was free, but I recall I had to request a password which they emailed me withing 2-3 days.

It's much faster than any kind of transcoding, and lossless quality, but whether any of these new media players can support 35mbps would be interesting to know.
Tom, I've looked for this utility and couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

And for those working with the EX1, the BPAV folder contains the .mp4 wrapped mpeg2 file. VLC plays this directly with no transcoding. So maybe the small boxes will play it too. This saves the step of using the clipbrowser to wrap it into an MXF.
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Trustee

Perrone is of course right about VLC playing mxf natively on the pc, so the main benefit here is for media players like the popcorn, western digital etc.

I'll see if I can find the link to the Snell & Wilcox mxf desktop.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #15
Trustee

Here is the link to mxf desktop

AmberFin MXF Desktop (free MXF file player)

It's now called AmberFin, and it mentions that it wraps to mxf, I think it should unwrap as well. If it doesn't let me know.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts