DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   EX1 or the Sony F350 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/138868-ex1-sony-f350.html)

Nick Stone December 3rd, 2008 01:15 AM

EX1 or the Sony F350

Hi,
I’m looking for a comparison between the EX1 and the Sony F350.
I have done some research and both cameras have half inch chips I think.
Has anyone done a by side to comparison and if so what was the verdict in regards to image quality.

Nick

Bjørn Sørensen December 3rd, 2008 11:44 AM

I have both F-350 and EX-1. They both make an excellent image, I would say with EX-1 slightly (but just) better than the F-350. The F-350 has more features though, but in terms of image quality it is my opinion that you can see the extra resolution that EX-1 has (1920x1080 vs.1440x1080 pix.)

The EX-1 is also much better in low light situations.

Paulo Teixeira December 3rd, 2008 07:24 PM

Have you thought about the EX3? I’d pick that over both of those cameras.

Steve Phillipps December 4th, 2008 04:32 AM

Alister Chapman has both (and an EX3), search the forum as he posted a while back that he preferred the EX over the 350. Again, though, it's close, and more comes down to what form factor you prefer (shoulder mount or compact). I'd also say that comparison with EX3 is better as both have interchangeable lenses.
Workflow is different, I and quite a few others prefer the discs to solid state (cards) as with cards you always need to dump them to drives.
EX pros: Great image (I had questions abotu fast moving subjects, but many others disagree), compact, batteries are small and last forever, nice lens
EX cons: Solid state media takes some getting into, crappy viewfinder (EX3 is good though), doesn't sit too well on shoulder
F350 pros: Built just same as other pro camcorders, same control layout etc.
F350 cons: Overcranking (slomo) pretty lo-res
Steve

Nick Stone December 4th, 2008 05:53 AM

Have now tried both cameras and gota say the 350 feels so nice on shoulder and lens is so easy to use and most important image is so clean, Disk format for me seems solid and cheaper that SXS cards.
EX1 & EX3 are both wonderfull cameras and the EX3 is the pick for use in your hands and semi shoulder use. EX1 is so small and hard on my right wrist for long periods.

What I don't get is the the EX 1,3 series has higher resoultuion than the F350 and better in low light, so I have read ( yet to do tests ) for a cheaper price.

Nick

Steve Phillipps December 4th, 2008 06:25 AM

I think CMOS chips and rolling shutter are a big part of it, cheaper to produce than CCDs and global shutter. Do they come at a price, like motion artefacts etc., I think so, but seem to be in a minority. No such thing as a free lunch I always think, and also there must be a reason why BBC Natural History Unit haven't bought a fleet of EX3s for their productions, it's still Varicam all the way - even though they're only 720 lines and (with lens) 10x the price.
Steve

Alister Chapman December 4th, 2008 09:31 AM

I believe the EX1 and EX3 both produce better pictures than the F350. The F350 pictures always look to processed and electronic to my eye. I have an F350, EX1 and EX3 and the camera I like to use the most is the EX3. It has a great range of features offers the best picture quality and portability. The pictures from the EX3 are remarkable close to the pictures from the PDW-700.
I do prefer the optical disc workflow of the F350 over the SxS workflow of the EX's. But both workflows work well and are a significant step forward from tape.

Simon Wyndham December 4th, 2008 11:41 AM

I agree with Alister. I find that there is something rather coarse about the image of the 350 compared with the EX cameras.

Quote:

see the extra resolution that EX-1 has (1920x1080 vs.1440x1080 pix.)
These figures don't tell the whole story. The differences are even grater than that. From my messing around I can only get 800 TVL from the 350, while I can clearly see 1000 TVL from the EX1. An EX3 with a Cine prime on the front must be incredible!

So not only do the EX cameras have the edge in terms of vertical resolution, but they also beat the 350 on horizontal resolution as well.

Eugene Kosarovich December 4th, 2008 11:49 AM

About how much better in low light is an EX3 versus a F335? Are we talking a full stop better?

Thierry Humeau December 4th, 2008 11:51 AM

That's one point but let's also take a look at ergonomics. I own both cams and am much more comfortable doing handheld work with the F350 than the EX1. The F350 with a proper wide angle lens is just a pleasure to operate. It is light, well balance and all contols are in the right place for quick action, reframing and rack focus moves. The EX1 outfitted with a wide adaptor is very front heavy and is much harder to operate. Depending of the type of work you do, you will be able to work more quickly and have better control of your framing and focus on the F350. This to me is far more critical than TV lines resolution.

Thierry.

Alister Chapman December 4th, 2008 12:37 PM

I agree with Thierry about the EX1's ergonomics. If I had to choose between an EX1 and an F350 I would take the F350. However the ergonomics of the EX3 are so much better especially if you hand a V-Lock battery or similar off the back.

I have tried an EX3 with a 70mm DigiPrime and it was stunning. Not all that different from the F23 we borrowed the lens from.

The EX's are at least a stop faster than the F350. I find I struggle when lighting scenes for the F350 while the EX is much more sympathetic to difficult lighting scenarios.

Nick Stone December 4th, 2008 04:43 PM

So what do you guys reach for when you have a shoot?
Considering that the EX1,3 is better in low light and has a higher resolution than the 350
What’s a better all round camera.

I'm trying to make a decision between the three cameras and the work that I do and also not need to up grade for the next few years.
To me the F350 is more industry standard and could put me into more jobs because of workflow, image and the look but still with the EX cameras the image quality is right up there.
I know that as soon as you upgrade there is a new format the very next week and to be honest I seem to change cameras and upgrade each year but if I look at the over all cost over five years I would be better of getting the F350. But is this the right format for what production company’s want.

Advice?

Steve Phillipps December 4th, 2008 05:03 PM

In terms of workflow and what clients can use, things are a lot easier these days as with any of the file-based systems you can just dump to hard drive and supply that, and it'll go straight into their edit system, no need for expensive Digibeta or HDCam decks.
The F350 is getting on a bit now, while EX is more current technology, could be worth considering.
Steve

Thierry Humeau December 4th, 2008 07:58 PM

I don't think optical disc recording over SxS media makes the F350 obsolete. Recording to XDCAM optical discs actually takes care of one if not the major flow of solid state recording: "ARCHIVING". No matter what people say, achiving solid state media is still "a process" that cannot be overlooked. Day after day, I run in people having had missaps with achiving solid state media. It can get pretty ugly.

Thierry.

Alister Chapman December 5th, 2008 01:37 AM

As an owner of an EX1, EX3 and F350 my camera of choice is the EX3.