XDCam and carrier flight deck interference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #1
New Boot

XDCam and carrier flight deck interference?

Hello,
Does anybody have experience with XDCam in a camera unfriendly environment such as a carrier flight deck? I've worked on two previous productions on board aircraft carriers, both with Varicam. With all the radio/navigation signals flying around on a flight deck, interference "hits" just go with the territory - even with extra shielding protection. You just have to accept it and edit around the hits.
So now I may be going out on yet another carrier, and just wondering how my new PDW 700 might fare. Worse, better?

Thanks for any advice,
Bryan Harvey
Bryan Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Wrangler

Perhaps better. Reason being that you're not using a magnetic recording media. RF energy is electrostatic and electromagnetic fields that travel through space at right angles to one another. The strong RF fields can wreak havoc on anything magnetic.

That's not to say that you won't get interference to the computer and logic circuits inside. But the laser and disc media would not be prone to RFI/EMI.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Bryan,

Did you shoot the serie "Carrier" on the USS Nimitz?

Must be the most dangerous place on earth to work for a filmcrew.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi Ivan,
No, I shot "Supercarrier" for Nat Geo Explorer aboard the Eisenhower and "Carrier at War" for Smithsonian HD on board the Enterprise. It is a truly dangerous work environment. I've had a few extremely close calls Id rather not think about. Its a huge rush to be out there though. I love it!
Im still a little leery about how this "mobile blue-ray" laser recorder will do with all those signals flying around. If anybody has any experience or can put my mind at ease, Id love to hear about it.
Bryan
Bryan Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Bryan, having shot on carriers with old school BetaSP and shipboard with XDHD I think you'll be really pleased. I do a lot of military work so challenging RF situations are pretty common and the XDCAM has been wonderful. You may still get some viewfinder scramble every now and then but it's way less hassle than videotape. Not to mention the condensation problems that come from transitioning from air conditioned wardroom to flight deck are a thing of the past.

BTW Nice shooting - I've seen and loved both pieces.
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #6
New Boot

Hey thanks Rick!
Bryan Harvey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts