PDW-U1 and Vista 64 bit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 24th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #1
Major Player

PDW-U1 and Vista 64 bit?

Has anyone got the U1 working properly on Vista 64 bit ... or even XP 64 bit?

The prodisc driver installs without apparent problem or error but the drive doesn't work correctly. The XML file parsing doesn't work, so that the structure of the disc is shown in a different way (I guess this is the native structure/format before the XML files are read and alter the layout that is presented to the user). i.e. the top level folders are GENERAL and PROAV. On closer inspection of the device manager, a MS driver is being used rather than a Sony driver.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Major Player

I guess not then? :(

I've recently tried this on Vista 32 bit (different machine) as well but getting similar problems, even when installing as administrator and with UAC turned off.

Anyone got it working on Vista OK?

Thanks.
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

My vista 32 bit laptop works flawlessly.
64 bit desktop however does not. Sony is yet to release drivers.
Have you tried disabelling your firewall and antivirus software to see if that makes a difference?
Peter
Peter Beeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Peter,

I'm running NOD32 A/V - have just disabled that and re-installed to see if that makes a difference...
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #5
Major Player

I've tried loads of combinations of removing the A/V, removing the prodisc drivers and re-installing. Nothing works so far - the disc is always seen as "XDCAM" and has "General" and "PROAV" folders rather than the correct XDCAM layout. :(
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

for what it's worth, I'm running mcaffee antiv and firewall and that has caused me no issue. Apart from the FAM drivers I also have the pdz-1 browsing software and xdcam clip viewer software installed. What about the firmware of your drive-is that up to date?
Peter
Peter Beeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Solved!!!

Thanks for the replies guys.

A very helpful Sony pre-sales guy called me and we worked out that my U1 was on an older firmware version - The prodisc driver obviously needs to match the firmware.

I wasn't aware that a newer firmware version was out, having only updated a couple of months ago when the write-back firmware came out.

Anyway, the disc is now showing up correctly in Vista 32.

Apparently Vista 64 support is being considered by Japan but there's no official timescales on it yet.

Thanks All.

Paul.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts