Matching 510 and 700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 7th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching 510 and 700

I have a shoot Monday for ABC using one of their 510s as a third camera and, of course, shooting in DVCam. Any suggestions on how to match PDW700 to ABC's XDCam setup? Is there a relationship between the different cameras' similar menus?
Also, what detail setting do you like for the standard def detail on the 700?

Thanks!
db
David H. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Telecam Films

Both cameras have a very different CCD block and menu structure. They can definetly be matched but it would require time and measuring equipment to do so. You may be better of settings both cameras to Sony's factory settings and match them in post. I assume there is some sort of consistency in the way Sony sets camera with factory settings.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Thierry,
While you assumption about Sony sounds reasonable I would expect that it is not going to lead to great results. As you mentioned the best way to match cameras is to A B them on the set they are being used with charts, scopes, paintboxes. Of course we hardly ever have the time to do it properly. Sony and other manufacturers tend to work on batches of cameras but they usually don't match perfectly unless set up by the same technician at the same time and use the same style lens. It is unlikely the 700 David has will have had the same tech charts and scope as the ABC camera. I have found that Auto White Balance is often better than Preset when in these situations as the camera circuitry uses a very similar routine in either camera to determine the adjustment. Of course if someone has altered or modified the camera settings all bets are off. Matching the detail, pedestal, gamma and knee also plays an important role. IMHO Color is actually easier to fix in post than sharpness but that doesn't mean there is a perfect setting for each camera to match the other one in this case
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Telecam Films

Looking at the short period of time is having before his shoot on monday, I just think the best choice is to set both camera to factory settings. I bet it will be an easy match in post. And yes, you are absolutely right, white balance both cameras, don't use preset white.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts