SRW-9000 HDCAM SR Camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 12th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Long View Post
Also the same block as the F23 and the PDW-F800
Could be that person involved in reporting this was worried about losing that 12 stops range and jumped to a conclusion. I expect any visual quality differences will be revealed once people test the new camera.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Shipsides View Post
I've heard that base price may be around $80k but that is just a rumor.
That actually sounds "reasonable" - relatively-speaking! BUT, it's still tape, so it still has a dinosaur-like feel, and of course you need expensive machines to play it.
I think it'll be a fairly short-lived thing (isn't everything these days?), and that a good 1080/60P solid state machine can't be too far off.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #18
Major Player

We must not forget that tape is still the only feasible archive method, and to have your original footage on tape is not such a bad thing at all.
Nevertheless if the camera block is the same in all Sony Hi End cameras
(CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS PLEASE),
then the combination of a 700/800 camera and a Digital Recorder (wafian, XDR, Kipro, etc) has an outstanding value compared to the to the 9000 or F23+recorder.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
We must not forget that tape is still the only feasible archive method, and to have your original footage on tape is not such a bad thing at all.
Nevertheless if the camera block is the same in all Sony Hi End cameras
(CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS PLEASE),
then the combination of a 700/800 camera and a Digital Recorder (wafian, XDR, Kipro, etc) has an outstanding value compared to the to the 9000 or F23+recorder.
The original reference mentioned only to the optical block itself, not the camera head. The person who made the comment on CML thought he'd prefer to use the F23 camera head into a S two uncompressed recorder rather than the new camera, but again I suppose that could depend on the new camera basically only having a F900 camera head rather than a F23 camera head.

The in value terms the combination the those recorders would make sense, although you wouldn't be getting the extra visual information from the F23's cine mode menus.
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
the combination of a 700/800 camera and a Digital Recorder (wafian, XDR, Kipro, etc) has an outstanding value compared to the to the 9000 or F23+recorder.
Except with the 9000 you get 1080/60P 4:4:4 which is as good as anyone will need!

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I believe the PDW-700, PDW-F800, HDC-1500 all share the same optical block and sensors while the F23 uses the same sensors but with a prism designed to give a wider gamut. The exotic glass used in the prisms makes up a substantial part of the cameras cost as in many cases the glass is actually grown as a crystal in a vacuum at high temperatures.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I believe the PDW-700, PDW-F800, HDC-1500 all share the same optical block and sensors while the F23 uses the same sensors but with a prism designed to give a wider gamut. The exotic glass used in the prisms makes up a substantial part of the cameras cost as in many cases the glass is actually grown as a crystal in a vacuum at high temperatures.
I believe this was why the reference to the prism was made because it was a means of reducing the cost of the SRW900 compared to the F23.
Old June 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #23
Inner Circle

A basic SRW-9000 is missing much of the stuff thats standard on the F23. Stock 9000 is 4:2:2 not 4:4:4 for a start and has no over or undercrank. When you add all the options to bring it up to F23 spec I think the price will be much closer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts