XDCAM /VISTA Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM /VISTA Question

Having problems with a new Windows Vista computer recognising my 330 XDCAM can anyone advise me is the procedure for connecting any different from how it was with a Windows XP computer,
Thanks.
Thomas
Thomas Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Thomas,

Make sure you have the latest version of the Prodisc driver from the Sony site. There was an update to the driver for Vista compatiblity. I know from experience. I use it with Vista Business Edition just fine.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Greg I have deleted all the old Prodisc driver files and downloaded the latest, and still am having the same result, you say you are using Vista Business Edition I am on home premium are you or anyone on the board aware would the vista version make any difference to the computer not bring the XDCAM into the (disk drives) area of my computer,
Thanks for your input as I am getting no help on this from Sony, Microsoft, or Mesh, who I bought the computer from, each passing the buck
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Telecam Films

Are you sure the firewire port on your camera or computer are good. It could be the problem too. Could you try connecting the camera to an other computer to check?

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes the firewire port is fine, as i can connect a fx1 no problem, Just to explain a bit more detail my 330 can be found under (other devices) in device manager with a small question mark in a circle beside it, I need to have it in the disks and hard drive area to use with Vegas pro,
Old April 25th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If the computer is seeing it like that then it is most likely a driver issue.
Old April 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have spent two day deleting and installing the latest FAM drives from sony, I have disabled anti virus software and finally reinstalled a clean version of vista,and still not a jot of difference,
does anyone know can VISTA HOME PREMIUM can run the XDCAM in HD mode
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Do you have the latest Service Pack for Windows Vista Home installed?
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I think that is service pack 1, then yes that's what I have installed at the moment
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Does Vista recognise the camera at all? i.e. in device manager when you plug the camera in, do you see any entry for it at all?

I recently struggled for a while trying to get a U1 to be properly recognised in Vista until I realised my U1 firmware was one version out of date - updating the firmware fixed the problem.

I'm wondering if it's a firmware/prodisc driver match problem - is your camera up to date with the latest firmware?

Just a guess but worth a go...

Paul.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gale View Post
Does Vista recognise the camera at all? i.e. in device manager when you plug the camera in, do you see any entry for it at all?
Yes the camera can be recognised by vista and can be used in DVCAM mode

Quote:
I'm wondering if it's a firmware/prodisc driver match problem - is your camera up to date with the latest firmware?
I have not got the latest camera firmware update i have been inquiring about this and I need something called a JIG, to update to the latest, any idea what a JIG is?

Thanks for your help I will try the firmware update when I get the firmware updated.
Thomas
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #12
Major Player

Ah yes - a Jig is, from what I remember, a piece of hardware used on the very old firmware version cameras to enable a firmware update. I'm sure others more Knowledgeable of that subject can fill you in on that. I think there were a number of posts on it on this forum too - so a search may yield some results.

What exact version of firmware do you have in the camera?

My money is still on the incompatibility of firmware and prodisc drivers - but that's still a guess.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 05:14 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Quinn View Post
I have not got the latest camera firmware update i have been inquiring about this and I need something called a JIG, to update to the latest, any idea what a JIG is?
The jig was required if you want to use larger than 128mb memory sticks in your camera. There was an alternate Package version with the AT version release to be used if you don't want that functionality.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
The jig was required if you want to use larger than 128mb memory sticks in your camera. There was an alternate Package version with the AT version release to be used if you don't want that functionality.

-gb-
Hello Greg ,
I have a 128mb memory stick, so I do not need the jig? can I upgrade from my current firmware (AT 1.60 PACKAGE 1.93) to the latest firmware, and can you please advise me on how I go about this.
Thomas
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Quinn View Post
can I upgrade from my current firmware (AT 1.60 PACKAGE 1.93) to the latest firmware
If you're at this firmware revision, you should be beyond the revision that required the jig. I believe it was back around AT 1.53/1.54 where the special jig was needed.

When you download the drivers, it will include a file that explains the process in detail and what changes/fixes are in the current version.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts