XDCAM 510p field order for Uncompressed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 21st, 2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Major Player

XDCAM 510p field order for Uncompressed

Evenin'

Does anyone know the field order workflow if i'm shooting XDCAM DVCAM which is upper field first and then i want to export to an uncompressed 8 bit finish, would i select upper field first on the export?

Thanks..
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gurvich View Post
Evenin'

Does anyone know the field order workflow if i'm shooting XDCAM DVCAM which is upper field first and then i want to export to an uncompressed 8 bit finish, would i select upper field first on the export?

Thanks..
Actually, DV and DVCam are bottom field first in PAL or NTSC. Which platform are you editing on?

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Thierry,

You are correct DV and DVCAM are bottom field first. However, Sony chose top field first for their XDCAM DVCAM system for some strange reason. Im editing on Final Cut Pro 6 but i'm encounting problems when i go to and from motion when exporting.

thx,
Ben
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Telecam Films

Weird... How did you find out that the field order is reversed on XDCAM (DVCam)? I have been importing/impoting XDCAM (DVCam) material on AVID systems using lower field interpolation and have not had a problem.

T.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #5
Trustee

I never had an issue with the standard field order for DV with the 510 either.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #6
Major Player

I have learnt the field order from 3 seperate sources though it still sounds strange as it is DVCAM (plus proxies off disc). The issue is only ever in the conversion to uncompressed 8 bit. I saw a similiar issue with XDCAM EX HD converted to SD just today. Maybe it is Final Cut Pro ..... I am importing XDCAM DVCAM into an 8bit uncompressed timeline if that helps.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Telecam Films

I am not familiar with FCPro but importing/exporting interlaced footage can be tricky at best and you must pay careful attention to the various settings that are available. It sounds to me that some of these settings are incorrect when you attempt to import or export your XDCAM footage. I am still fairly certain that XDCAM DVCam is lower field first. I'd be interested to ear from your sources what makes them beleive it is upper field first. Have you tried importing your XDCAM material both ways, lower and upper field first?

Thierry.
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The DVCAM stored on the Discs is lower field first. The proxies just use 1 field as far as I know.

FCP is terrible at getting the field order mixed up. I suspect your problem is with FCP importing the clips and swapping the fields. Are you using the correct XDCAM easy setup?

There is a field shift filter in the video filters that will swap the fields in real time if they are switched. When working with DV type material I always use a DVCAM deck connected via firewire with a CRT monitor for monitoring as this is the only way to really see what's going on with the field order. A decklink card or similar can sometimes show the wrong field order as it doesn't translate from lower first to upper first the same way that a DVCAM deck will.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:25 AM   #9
Major Player

The import is flip for mac, it just selects the clips. I too have argued with people that it is simply DVCAM on disc, but the resulting field order convinced Me that a station tech, and after effects guru were correct, the fact that you mention a Decklink card, may fill in a few gaps as i have never seen this problem before this specific system.

I dont know why FCP cant get it right.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I would suggest that flip4mac is not assigning the correct field order fag to the .mov's it creates. I assume you are using Ethernet as opposed to FAM. Have you tried FAM and XDCAM Transfer tool to see if that makes any difference.

The clips on an XDCAM disc are definitely lower field first as you can stream DVCAM over firewire directly from an XDCAM camcorder to a DVCAM deck. If the field order was swapped you would have issues.
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #11
Major Player

Hmm Alister you might be correct about the FAM Settings. I will try that.

I think that the upper field first issue may have come about from confusion with shooting MPEG 4:2:2 which may(?) be Upper field first to cut easily with digital Betacam.

I will also try a straight DV workflow without using the blackmagic cards uncompressed output.
Old June 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Inner Circle

IMX MPEG 2 is upper field first, like Digibeta etc, while DVCAM (and DV) are lower field first. Which one are you using? Or are you mixing them in the same timeline in which case one or the other will need to have it's fields swapped depending on how the field order is set in the timeline settings.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts