"!" in VF is working backwards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"!" in VF is working backwards

When I turned my camera on today, the "!" was on in my VF. If I deselected the "shutter" in the "!" menu it turned off. Or...if I activated the shutter! That's right, it is working backwards for the shutter. I powered down, re-read the all, user and scene files, turned off and on the "!" menu items but it seems to like to tell me when the shutter is off, not on.

Any ideas how can I fix this?
David H. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Trustee

Is this in a 350 or a 700?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

This occurs in the 700 when you switch to progressive.

Essentially think of it in terms of: if the warning light is on my shutter is set to something other than 1/50th (25p/50i) or (i assume) 1/60th for 30p/60i.

Assuming 25p, the logic is that if shutter is off in progressive you are actually at 1/25th of a second shutter so you are warned. So you have to turn it on and select 1/50th to make the warning go away.

In interlaced when shutter is off it is already at 1/50th so no warning light.

Same I'm sure would probably apply for 30p / 60i land but with 1/30th 1/60th fractions - though I've not shot in these yet.
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a 700 and thanks, Peter! You nailed it. The camera was set to 30P and I had the 1/60 shutter on. Perhaps the warning "!" is to remind us to turn the shutter on when shooting progressive.
David H. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

yea - that's exactly the logic of the warning light. The motion blur in progressive with shutter off is substantial and for day to day shooting it's important that the shutter is turned on to clean this up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts