Maxell and Fuji 50GB XDCAM Pro Discs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 19th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Maxell and Fuji 50GB XDCAM Pro Discs

At NAB 2009, both Maxell and Fuji showed dual-layer 50GB XDCAM Pro Discs. Maxell was even pushing the fact that theirs were pre-formatted to save you valuable seconds. Both manufacturers told me that their standard dealers should have them already.

I also Googled the topic, and Fuji announced these over a year ago, with shipping planned for fall 2008. Maxell announced in fall of 2008 with shipping planned for December 2008.

Have any of you actually seen these out in the wild or used them? I've searched all the on-line dealers I know over here in the U.S. and none of them have them nor have they heard about them.

The pricing was supposed to be $5 to $10 less than Sony's price, and I use a lot of them, so I was very interested in finding them.

Thanks.
Old June 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Never seen or used such Fuji or Maxell disc. I only use the Sony's.

You can order the Maxell dual-layer disc at B&H Photovideo, but they are more expensive then the Sony's. TDK is cheaper then Sony, but they only have the single layer.

XDCAM Optical Media | B&H Photo Video
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #3
Wrangler

I have seen Maxell Dual layer discs. Used one in a 700/800 presentation demo back in May. The local tape stock dealer had them and I borrowed one.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

As more and more XDCAM cameras get sold the demand for media will increase as will the availability of 3rd party discs. I have used over 100 TDK single layer discs without issue. I'm still using single layer discs for most shoots, the 50Gb discs are still a lot more expensive per min/gb.
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #5
New Boot

The question I have is Fuji and Maxell producing the Xdcam media or are they
O.E.M. from Sony and TDK for resale under their brand names.
Bill Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Trustee

They are producing the media, but they have to match Sony's strict guidelines for quality.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts