File structure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #1
New Boot

File structure

See attached:

Why is the file structure different coming out of a pdw-u1 vs a 355?
Both are going to a mac laptop.

The first and longer is from the U1(older firmware)
The second and shorter is from the 355

Mac/FCP can use either one.
The PC needs the shorter one.

Any ideas.

Thanks
Jon
Attached Images

Jon Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The file structure in the first is what appears when there is a problem with the computer recognising the drive correctly. Out of date firmware, incorrect drivers, incompatible operating system, or combinations thereof.
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I've had lots of problems with getting drivers for the U1 correctly installed. Only yesterday I was struggling for around 4 hours trying to get the latest drivers working on XP.

That first drive structure shows up when the Sony drivers aren't getting loaded (it's the physical structure of the disc before the sony drivers re-format the layout that you're seeing I believe).

I've found that you have to be very meticulous about removing the drivers, disconnecting the drive, rebooting, re-installing, rebooting and they finally re-connecting the drive. Even then, after inserting a disc, you may need to re-boot again.

The drivers, IME, are very fussy!

Oh, and if this is on Windows 64 bit of any kind, the drivers won't work until the 64bit update is released (apparently September possibly - last time I asked). I did try on Vista 64 bit and the drivers appeared to install but didn't load and I saw the same drive structure as you're seeing.

Paul.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts