problems viewing proxy clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old September 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1
New Boot

problems viewing proxy clips

Im on my shoot. I've recorded proxy data on a USB drive while recording. I can see the clips as xml files in the CLIP folder but I am not able to view them in XDCam Transfer 2.1 or Final Cut Pro 6. I can see the folder in XDCam Transfer, but underneath it says 0 clips. No thumbnails.
This stuff is driving me a little crazy...

Tips are appreciated!
Bryan Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

I am not sure if XDCAM Transfer is able to understand "proxy - only" media.
As you can see, the folder structure is a bit different to that on the disc (the disc has a much leaner folder structure, though on deeper levels it is identical).

At least, the PDZ1 Software (PC) can work with it , though IŽd expect XDCAM Xfer to work with it too.

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't think FCP xd cam transfer reads proxy only files either, as FCP is not designed for proxy based workflows.
We struck a similar problem on a recent project and the producer viewed the proxy files using the XDCamEX clip browser. OK for viewing, but the EX clip browser contains none of the very useful logging and clip naming features of the PDZ-1 software... You might want to explore the PDZ-1 software option if you want to initiate proxy-based logging, clip naming/renaming, or very basic assembly editing. I know someone using it on a mac with a windows partition...
If you want to cut using a proxy workflow you can not use FCP and must turn to avid or vegas.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Harvey View Post
Im on my shoot. I've recorded proxy data on a USB drive while recording. I can see the clips as xml files in the CLIP folder but I am not able to view them in XDCam Transfer 2.1 or Final Cut Pro 6. I can see the folder in XDCam Transfer, but underneath it says 0 clips. No thumbnails.
This stuff is driving me a little crazy...

Tips are appreciated!
Bryan, the XML files are not clips. Those files contain metadata that pertains to the clips. The proxy files typically have the same name as the full res clips with the letter S included in the file name to denote 'sub'. The CLIP folder contains the full res clips along with the associated XML file. The SUB folder contains the proxy files. The EDIT folder will not have any video files either as this is where EDITLIST files go. If you use the in camera editing, it will create a file in this folder, but that is nothing more than a pointer type file that instructs the system how to play back the clips for your simple edit sequence.

Hope this helps,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Bryan, the XML files are not clips. Those files contain metadata that pertains to the clips. The proxy files typically have the same name as the full res clips with the letter S included in the file name to denote 'sub'. The CLIP folder contains the full res clips along with the associated XML file. The SUB folder contains the proxy files. The EDIT folder will not have any video files either as this is where EDITLIST files go. If you use the in camera editing, it will create a file in this folder, but that is nothing more than a pointer type file that instructs the system how to play back the clips for your simple edit sequence.

Hope this helps,

-gb-
So Greg,

I and the folks back home should be able to view these lowrez proxy clips somehow, correct? How? I just wanted to test/view the proxy files to be sure I was sending them the proper information so they could begin editing. I imported the whole file structure from my USB drive (which I recorded on the fly while shooting) as a unit into XDCam Transfer. In Transfer's source window, underneath the file with the XDCam disc icon it says 0 clips. What am I doing wrong? Im typically pretty good at figuring this sort of stuff out, but this all seems a little clunky to be honest.

Thanks for your patience!

Also, is it true that this is an "Avid only" workflow?

thanks!
Bryan
Bryan Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Harvey View Post
So Greg,

I and the folks back home should be able to view these lowrez proxy clips somehow, correct? How? I just wanted to test/view the proxy files to be sure I was sending them the proper information so they could begin editing. I imported the whole file structure from my USB drive (which I recorded on the fly while shooting) as a unit into XDCam Transfer. In Transfer's source window, underneath the file with the XDCam disc icon it says 0 clips. What am I doing wrong? Im typically pretty good at figuring this sort of stuff out, but this all seems a little clunky to be honest.

Thanks for your patience!

Also, is it true that this is an "Avid only" workflow?
Yes and no. Avid can make direct use of the proxy files and you can edit with them before conforming to the full res files. Sony Vegas can also use the proxy files in the same manner. FCP does not. You are provided an outboard application to review your proxy files and create an import batch list from. FCP will then locate and create clips to use in your bin from the full resolution files on the disc.

I just re-read your original post and noticed you mentioned XDCAM Transfer version 2.1 and if that's what you're using, it needs to be updated. I believe 2.9 is the most current version of XDCAM Transfer. This may be where your problem lies. As a side note, when you get your proxies loaded into XDCAM Transfer, they can then be exported as stand alone MPEG4 files in a QT .MOV wrapper for your client to review (but not edit with).

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Greg,

Just curious,

Why can't the client edit with the Quicktime files?

(I am a cameraman, not an editor. But I am keen to know).

Thanks,
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You can use the proxies in FCP once imported via the transfer tool. I've seen this done and Sony do have a full workaround for using the proxies in FCP. I'll try and get a copy of their PDF.
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Bouke Vahl of Videotoolshed fame has released software to fully enable a proxy editing workflow for XDCAM/FCP users ... its not pretty but it works.

VideoToolshed
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:50 AM   #10
Inner Circle

You don't need any extra software. You can do it with the transfer tool. I have the Sony workflow documents, but they are a big power point presentation. I'll condense the information today and post it here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts