DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Reasonable used price for PDW-700 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/465495-reasonable-used-price-pdw-700-a.html)

Jonathan Morrow October 11th, 2009 02:57 PM

Reasonable used price for PDW-700

Hi All

I have seen a PDW-700 (body only) advertised at 4000 GBP. Would people agree that this seems suspiciously cheap? I have been pressing the seller for info on any faults, but he seems to be avoiding the issue. Shouldn't PDW-700's still be under a Sony guarantee? Any thoughts, or checks I should make if I go to have a look at it? Cheers, Jon

Steve Phillipps October 11th, 2009 03:06 PM

Definitely ridiculously cheap.
From a dealer you'd expect to pay around £15,000, and private sale at the VERY LEAST £10,000. Remember none of these units are very old as it only came out about a year back, and there are no tape heads to wear out etc., so they should re-sell for only a little under the new price.
Steve

Jonathan Morrow October 12th, 2009 04:14 AM

I'm inclined to agree. He is a also selling a Rolex Oyster and, bizarrely, at a different part of the country the same guy is selling a full EX3 kit for 2 grand. I smell a rat. Jon

Greg Boston October 12th, 2009 06:21 AM

On this kind of thing, you should always ask for the serial number of the camera. A legitimate seller will have no problem giving you that information. However, someone fencing stolen goods won't want to do that. The price is way too cheap. This camera is likely stolen.

-gb-

Jonathan Morrow October 12th, 2009 06:43 AM

Hi Greg, the guy actually includes a photo of the serial number. Its not possible to say if it has been photoshopped at all, but it can be read quite clearly as 11223, has anyone out there lost this camera? Jon

Alister Chapman October 13th, 2009 03:07 PM

The price of new PDW-700's recently went up quite considerably. You used to be able to get a body for around £16k, they are now closer to £20K. A viewfinder will add another £4k for the HDVF-20A, so new your now looking at a street price of around £23k - £24k. In my book that would put a used body plus finder in the £16K -£18K region and body only at around £14k to £16k. So yes suspiciously low price. As to see the original invoice from wherever he got it, then call the dealer or seller to see if it's legit.

Jonathan Morrow October 13th, 2009 03:17 PM

I am on the case, good call. Jon

Joe Blogg November 29th, 2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Morrow (Post 1430745)
Hi All

I have seen a PDW-700 (body only) advertised at 4000 GBP. Would people agree that this seems suspiciously cheap? I have been pressing the seller for info on any faults, but he seems to be avoiding the issue. Shouldn't PDW-700's still be under a Sony guarantee? Any thoughts, or checks I should make if I go to have a look at it? Cheers, Jon

Sounds like a bargain, Do you have the seller info?