New PMW-350, EX1R camcorders and SxS media announced - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #121
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
What am I missing?
Two different cameras: PDW-F350 is optical disk, PMW-350 is solid state SxS. Tip o' the hat to Sony's naming department - 'thanks guys'.
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #122
Inner Circle

I don't understand Sony sometimes. Two cameras launched at a similar price point to the same market with such similar names. PMW-350 and PDW-F350, it's hardly surprising there is so much confusion.
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #123
Trustee

Sony is just being careful to use up all the old numbers, not be caught without enough new ones. :)
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #124
Trustee

Well, even if they adopted a Dewey Decimal System, or a BMWesque sort of moniker, at least it could have been the 370 series, or the 330. I really can't work out why it isn't an EX-7.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #125
Major Player

Does anyone know if the PMW 350 viewfinder underscans?
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #126
Inner Circle

Not sure Mike but I will know tomorrow when mine arrives. I am sure Alister knows and might even have it is his review.
Old December 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #127
Inner Circle

Yes and No, the 350 VF underscans in the same way that the EX3 VF underscans. So while it shows much more in the VF than you should see on a normal TV there are a few pixels at the edges that are not visible.
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #128
Regular Crew

A question for Alistair

Please tell me if the PMW350 stock lens has the jerky slow zoom issues common to the EX1 and EX3. Would I have to buy a proper lens to get smooth, feathered stops and starts? Many thanks for any reply.
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #129
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Well, even if they adopted a Dewey Decimal System, or a BMWesque sort of moniker, at least it could have been the 370 series, or the 330. I really can't work out why it isn't an EX-7.
BMW actually did a similarely odd thing by naming their new 650GS bike the F650GS and that new bike actually has a 800 engine... In regard to the PMW350, yes. There is going to be a lots of confusion on the consumers and crew bookers side. PMW-EX5 or PDW-F400 would have been a much more logical choice.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #130
Inner Circle

Dave I think the answer is yes you will have to also buy a nice 2/3" HD lens for the 350. There have not been too many who have tested the stock lens. I will be doing that tomorrow on my camera but I have received word that it has the same jerky slow zoom issues. I will confirm this tomorrow.

But it is to be expected with a $2000 HD lens. Nice glass be it wide or long with a Nano hooked up will make this camera shine.
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #131
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
I really can't work out why it isn't an EX-7.
It's a shoulder mount, so therefore it needed three numerals.

I don't see why it wasn't called the PMW-400, but I think the Japanese have some kind of superstition about certain numbers.
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #132
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
But it is to be expected with a $2000 HD lens.
What? I expect a professional lens to work! The jerky zoom is a major issue on the EX3 - smooth zooms are essential for almost all documentary work.

I can accept that a $2,000 lens may not look as good as a $20,000 lens but it is pretty basic to make it zoom smoothly. I've never seen the issue on any lens/camera besides the EX1/3 and really cheap consumer grade kit. It is totally unacceptable on a camera/lens at this level.
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #133
Inner Circle

Mike Sony has a options for you buy the camera with out a lens and buy a 2/3" lens of your choice. Also don't jump to conclusions until the new 350 lens is fully tested. I am only trying to give you information here.
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #134
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Mike Sony has a options for you buy the camera with out a lens and buy a 2/3" lens of your choice. Also don't jump to conclusions until the new 350 lens is fully tested. I am only trying to give you information here.
Sorry, probably my irritation bubbling over from finding this fault in the EX3. I really hope they have sorted it for the PMW350 as initial reports suggest the lens is optically surprisingly good it would be a real shame if it was let down but a jerky zoom.
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #135
Inner Circle

No worry Mike,

Currently I am charging the batteries for my PMW-350 since it arrived. I will let you know my thoughts on the stock lens soon.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; December 30th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts