DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Traveling with a F355 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/466560-traveling-f355.html)

Tim Allison October 27th, 2009 07:52 AM

Traveling with a F355

We do a lot of in-state traveling, but rarely do we ever have to fly (commercial airlines) with our gear.

First question: any suggestions for a carry-on travel bag for a PDW-F355 XDCAM camera?

Second question: any tips to help get through airport security?

Thierry Humeau October 27th, 2009 08:48 AM

Tim,

I fly a lot with 350 and 700 cameras both, nationally and internationally. Here are a few tips...

- The best traveling camera case for the 350 is Portabrace's carrying-on CO-BB. It's light, well padded and fits snugly which will make it easy to store in airplanes overhead compartments. In most medium to large size airplanes, camera bags will fit well in overhead compartments. On smaller regional jets and/or prop planes, it won't. In case you board such a plane, here is what you should do. Take the lens off the camera, roll it in a thick sweater or jacket, put it in the camera bag and check the bag at the door of the aircraft. take the camera body with you in the plane. (It is a good idea to always carry both your lens caps when this kind of situation occurs). Right after landing, the bag will be brought out of the aircraft cargo compartment first and available to pickup right out of the aircraft. In the small aircraft, you can just keep the camera body standing up on the floor between your legs or put it in the overhead compartment. Sometimes, overhead space is so small, you may need to take the viewfinder off.

- The sooner you board the plane, the more space you will find in overhead compartments to store your camera. On full planes, if you board-in last, you may be stuck with no overhead space and asked to check your bag. Crews are usually pretty good at accomodating camera crews but in a few occasions, I have found myself stuck. In that case, you have to resort to the solution described in the paragraph above.

- Unlike computers, you do not need to take the camera out of its bag when running it through the X-Ray machine. It is a good idea to send one of your crew member ahead of the X-Ray machine to grab the camera. In small airports, X-Ray machines often have short belts and on several occasions, I have seen stuff fall off.

- You do not need to have a battery attached to the camera when traveling. TSA does not require to turn cameras on/off anymore. That said, you may want to carry at least one battery onboard in case your checked luggage is delayed and you need to shoot something on arrival.

- Use a well padded or hard case for the tripod, these always get banged up.

- In 2008, the TSA came out with new rules on carrying lithium batteries onboard aircrafts either as checked luggage or as carrying on. If you go by the rules, it is extremely restrictive but in reallity, the enforcement of these new rules is still very laxed. Here is the link to TSAs' lithium battery restrictions: Safe Travel

Happy traveling.

Thierry.

Stewart Menelaws October 27th, 2009 09:51 AM

I just recently purchased the Porta Brace (CO-PB) 23” carry-on (actually meant for the F300 series) case for our PDW-700 fitted with rails and still enough room to fit a battery. I mention that because the case prescribed on the website is actually the 28” model, and this is not acceptable as carry-on, on most airlines, although you may get away with it.

The 23” case is very well made and also has room for batteries, tripod plate and other bits and bobs. Good armour cover protects the view finder from damage. It comes with a very good padded shoulder strap.

Had a funny experience with the camera a couple of weeks ago. Returning on a plane trip full of Hasidic Jews who put their black hats into the overhead lockers. The cabin crew spotted my 700 wrapped in bubble wrap sticking out from under the seat in front and said “that has got to go into the overhead locker sir”. As the plane was on the runway, there was a flurry of frenzied activity as coats and pillows were stuffed into the overhead locker to protect the camera. Then I looked down to see this poor chap who had a look of horror on his face “my poor hat”….. After take off, I checked the 700 was okay and noted that the stewardess had moved the chaps hat to a safe place, I gave him a wry smile and told him his hat was still alive, with great relief he thanked me and then enquired about the cameras safety… we both had a laugh… you had to be there.

After that I decided, I’m going to get this case thing sorted out… the CO-PB was a very good choice.

You also may want to consider the inflatable job from Petrol - quite niffty.

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com

Alister Chapman October 27th, 2009 01:08 PM

Given that the regulation size for carry on is 22x14x9 inches, event the portabrace bags tend to be too big, and I have been turned away from flights due to having a bag or object (camera) that would not fit in the size gauge. I now use a regulation size hard case that i have padded out with foam. I remove the lens an vf. The camera, lens, vf and a couple of batteries. I don't have to worry about checking the bag at the gate for small planes as it's construction will protect the camera from the baggage handlers. It attracts no attention from thieves or officials.

I have been paged in Chicago to go back to check in to have a full safety inspection of Batteries in hold luggage. I was warned that while they would carry the batteries on that occaision it probably would not be the case next year. Each battery was in a sealed plasticbag to prevent shorting of the terminals.

Thierry Humeau October 27th, 2009 02:27 PM

Alister, could you post a picture of that custom case? I'd love to see it.

Thierry.

Alister Chapman October 28th, 2009 05:47 AM

I'm out on the road at the moment Ill sort out picture when I get back.

One thing I would add is NOT to travel with a disc in the camera. If the camera gets a heavy bump the extra weight of a disc in the mechanism can make the loader jump a tooth. So it's safest not to have a disc in the camera, just in case.

Mike Marriage October 28th, 2009 08:28 AM

Here's what I do with my DSR 450 which should be the same size.

I take off the lens and viewfinder and pack them in a Storm iM2600 case. This fits in almost all airline carry-on requirements in the Uk, including Ryanair, Easyjet, Virgin, BA etc etc. It will be way over weigh but just don't tell them you have it and they won't weigh it. Ask someone else to watch it whilst you check in.

In the iM2600 I can fit the camera body, lens, VF, 2x190Wh batteries, a few tapes and my macbook pro. I am ready to shoot even it all my checked luggage goes missing. You need to be good at Tetris to get all that in!

If you are denied it as hand luggage tell them the value, write down their name and ask whether they will take personal responsibility for the security of such a delicate and expensive piece of kit. Also point out that due to the lithium ion battery regs you are legally obliged to take it as hand luggage - most of them don't know the regs anyway.

Don't take any of the above as legal advice BTW, it's just blagging hints!