DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Full size camera Run and Gun bag (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/470319-full-size-camera-run-gun-bag.html)

Paul Cronin January 2nd, 2010 08:33 AM

Full size camera Run and Gun bag

I am looking for a nice bag to carry my EX350 in for shoots where I have to pull and go. So keeping the VF on and Nano on are both important. When I ship I use my Storm case but not for putting in the car and going on a shoot for the day.

Would be nice to hear of options people have been happy with for their full size cameras.

Other features which would be nice.
Shoulder strap rings
outside or inside pockets for some extra gear
good protection in rain, snow, and dusty conditions

Don Bloom January 2nd, 2010 05:02 PM

Hi Paul,
this is the bag I used for everything from a DSR250 to DSR300, 500 and JVC5000/5100. I carried the camera with VF attached (theres an aluminum protecor as part of the bag) I carried either 3 Hytron 120s (1 on the camera 2 in the end pouch) my wireless receiver attached to the camera, my body paks and mics, a handheld mic, 10 and 20 foot XLR, plugin transmitter, headphones, Anton Bauer UL head with softbox (still attached to light but softbox collasped and the light base attached to the camera) shotgun on the camera, lens cleaning kit and extra dry cells for transmitters. I also carried about 10 to 12 mini tapes or 4 or so fullsized tapes. IIRC I found an old sandwich in there also. Yeah it wasn't light but I could grab one bag and tripod and go.
Here's the link to it from B&H.
Porta Brace | CC-22-PW Quick-Draw Camcorder Case | CC-22-PW

Paul Cronin January 2nd, 2010 05:17 PM

Don that is the type of bag I am looking to buy. Nice to know it has been working well for you for a long time.

Light is not the problem it is all the gear set up and ready to go which this sounds like it does well.

Will give Abel a call tomorrow thanks.

Don Bloom January 2nd, 2010 06:59 PM

There are other sizes in the same type of bag as well but I think the 22 would work for you. When I got it they also threw in a small belt type pouch that was great for carrying some tapes and misc gear if I had to run around say in a convention and couldn't carry the big bag around. I'd leave it in a secure place throw what I needed in the belt pouch and go.
Hope it works out for you.

Paul Cronin January 2nd, 2010 08:34 PM

Interesting Don my camera with VF set up is 10" wide and the bag is only 7" wide on the inside. Don’t know if this will work? The length and height will work I would have to lower the Nano off the handle, which is not a problem.

Will see if they offer a wider one.

Anton Strauss January 2nd, 2010 11:16 PM

I put it on the back seat of the car with seat belt through handle

Don Bloom January 3rd, 2010 05:54 AM

Paul, don't forget the "bed" for the VF isn't included in the dimensions.

You might need to go to a slightly bigger bag but I don't know the model numbers.

Maybe go to the Portabrace site and look thru there to see whichone might work better but if it were possible to try the 22 at a store or someone in your area that might have one, then at least you'd know for a fact if it would be the one.

Thierry Humeau January 3rd, 2010 07:31 AM

I found the Portabrace Quickdraw cased to be a bit to boxy especially when flying commercial. How about Portabrace "Carry-On" models. I only use those for our cameras and only have good things to say about those. light, versatile and slim.

PortaBrace - Product Detail:CO-PCB

I am pretty sure it will fit the PMW-350 well (but you may want to make sure the viewfinder will fit because I know it is a bit big...).

Also, the PortaBrace - Product Detail:CO-OB

Same bag but with 3" additional in interior room lenght. Good to accomodate the Nano mounted on the back of your camera or a longer lens such as a wide or 22X.

T.

Paul Cronin January 3rd, 2010 10:19 AM

Don, Thierry, what this has taught me is ProtaBrace has a product line that will work. I need to take some time and look through their selection. It would be nice to have it fit as a "Carry-On" since I fly a lot to jobs.

Luc De Wandel January 3rd, 2010 01:22 PM

Hi Paul,

perhaps it's worth while to take a look at the Camrade CB750 bag. I have one for my PDW-F350 and it's not only a perfect fit (with a long 20x lens + extender) but it is also very sturdy and well finished for the price.

Paul Cronin January 3rd, 2010 02:07 PM

Thanks Luc looks like a interesting option. Do you carry on when flying?

Will look into it more with all the other options. I have a week to decide prior to ordering then travel.

Thierry Humeau January 3rd, 2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 1467401)
I found the Portabrace Quickdraw cased to be a bit to boxy especially when flying commercial. How about Portabrace "Carry-On" models. I only use those for our cameras and only have good things to say about those. light, versatile and slim.

PortaBrace - Product Detail:CO-PCB

I am pretty sure it will fit the PMW-350 well (but you may want to make sure the viewfinder will fit because I know it is a bit big...).

Also, the PortaBrace - Product Detail:CO-OB

Same bag but with 3" additional in interior room lenght. Good to accomodate the Nano mounted on the back of your camera or a longer lens such as a wide or 22X.

T.

Actually, I just checked at the office and the "Carry-On" model we use for the PDW-F350 is the CO-BB. It is one inch longer than the CO-OB but a couple inches less high. It's perfect for a F350 with a standard lens (w/2X), wireless mic unit and battery attached to the camera. I think it should fit well the PMW-350 too. Those camera bags fits easily in most airplanes overhead compartments.

T.

Paul Cronin January 3rd, 2010 02:55 PM

Thank you for checking Thierry.

Daniel Epstein January 4th, 2010 10:32 AM

I have always liked the Portabrace Carry on line for day to day travel with a car. Most likely you will still want to take off some extra gear if it changes the profile of the camera in the bag. Judging from my looks at the 350 it is the same length and height as the disc camera 700 but a little thinner.
My experience with airlines lately has been less positive as the camera bag is a little too large for the carry on mold used by most airlines. I have been able to get through most of the time but a couple of times had to convince the agents and on some smaller commuter planes the cameras had to be checked at the gate. Everything survived but it is getting harder and harder to just have one set up. A cameraman I worked with recently had a little carry on suitcase that let him take off the lens and it ended up being a smaller case that he could more easily carry on.

Paul Cronin January 4th, 2010 10:49 AM

Good points Daniel,

I have a Think Tank roller carry on that fits the required size and have thought of a second one for the travel. This bag would be for day use and hopefully domestic air travel. But you are correct the rules change.

International travel I use Storm cases checked with precious items in the carry on.