DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   XDCAM Proxies on USB Flash Memory (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/470966-xdcam-proxies-usb-flash-memory.html)

Andy Shipsides January 13th, 2010 06:56 PM

XDCAM Proxies on USB Flash Memory

I posted a short how to guide for using USB flash memory with your XDCAM PDW700 and F800. It shows how to setup proxy recording on the camera and how to download it on a PC and Mac.

XDCAM Proxy on a USB Stick | CineTechnica

Dave Chalmers January 14th, 2010 09:06 AM

Remember you need codecs if FCP not installed

Thanks for this Andy - I'm about to do exactly this process next week so it's great to have a step-by-step.

It's worth mentioning, however, that if you don't have FCP installed on the Mac that you are running XDCAM Transfer on, then you will not have the right codecs and will need to buy the Calibrated {Q} XD Decode codecs from http://wwww.calibratedsoftware.com.

Of course, once you have converted to iphone video, you can watch those files on any Mac or PC.

One other small point: If you're plugging a USB stick into your PDW-700 or F800 I STRONGLY recommend that you get one of these USB swivel adapters so it can lie flush with the handle.

USB 360 Degree Adapter, USB A Male to A Female | Extension | USB Cables | USB & FireWire | LINDY USA

Otherwise you are going to be breaking a lot of USB sticks!!

Regards

Dave C

Doug Jensen January 14th, 2010 12:38 PM

I've been using a PNY 4GB drive that is smaller than that swivel adapter. It only protrudes 15mm (1/2") from the USB connector and you don't even notice it is there.

Amazon.com: PNY Micro Swivel Attaché 4 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive P-FDU4GBSV-EF/SIL (Silver): Electronics

If I still freelanced, I'd buy a dozen and sell them to clients like tape stock at $30 a pop.

The swivel would be handy, though.

Dave Chalmers January 14th, 2010 02:48 PM

Tiny USB flash drives

Yes I just bought some tiny Transcend Jetflash T5 waterproof ones to try out next week.
Will be interesting to see how they work plugged in directly.

Dave

Andy Shipsides January 14th, 2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Chalmers (Post 1472212)
Thanks for this Andy - I'm about to do exactly this process next week so it's great to have a step-by-step.

It's worth mentioning, however, that if you don't have FCP installed on the Mac that you are running XDCAM Transfer on, then you will not have the right codecs and will need to buy the Calibrated {Q} XD Decode codecs from http://wwww.calibratedsoftware.com.

Of course, once you have converted to iphone video, you can watch those files on any Mac or PC.

One other small point: If you're plugging a USB stick into your PDW-700 or F800 I STRONGLY recommend that you get one of these USB swivel adapters so it can lie flush with the handle.

USB 360 Degree Adapter, USB A Male to A Female | Extension | USB Cables | USB & FireWire | LINDY USA

Thanks for the notes Dave. Good point about needing FCP installed.. I'll add that to my post. Many people are into those angled USB adapters, some also have a short male to female USB cable and put the USB stick where ever they want.

Andy

Alister Chapman January 15th, 2010 12:01 PM

I use the Sony Micro-Vault Tiny USB sticks. They protrude less than 1/2". The 2Gb ones are about $18 and 4Gb about $24.

Dave Chalmers January 17th, 2010 02:15 AM

Need to confirm codec issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Chalmers (Post 1472212)
It's worth mentioning, however, that if you don't have FCP installed on the Mac that you are running XDCAM Transfer on, then you will not have the right codecs and will need to buy the Calibrated {Q} XD Decode codecs

I've just re-read this and I realise I actually haven't confirmed whether you do need the XD decode codecs JUST for the proxy files.
I don't have a 'virgin' system here I can try it on, but I guess if they are MXFs then you still need something to decode the MXFs, as QT won't open them.

Anyone able to test whether XDCAM Transfer works for ONLY proxies with no FCP or no XD decode codecs installed?

Actually now that I think about it, there a preferences option in XDCAM transfer to say 'import clips even if I don't have a codec installed' or something similar.
This SHOULD let you import proxies and convert to MOVs, without FCP or XD decode, but of course you wouldn't actually see your clips in XDCAM Transfer, which might be a bit disconcerting.

Regards

Dave

Andy Shipsides January 17th, 2010 08:04 AM

I had the same thought Dave. I have a new Mac install next week so I'll install XDCAM Transfer before FCP and give it a test. My feeling is that XDCAM Transfer will be able to handle playback and conversion of the proxy material because it is in a standard mpeg 4 codec, as opposed to the XDCAM 422 codec of the HD material.

Andy

Dennis Dillon January 19th, 2010 10:34 AM

USB in Haiti w CBS 60 Minutes

Andy,
Great Post.
I just got back from Haiti/CBS 60 Minutes. I can not say enough about how USB Proxy video workflow saved the day. Proxy advantages have been around for 4+ years now, and finally people are seeing why this is the Holy Grail of XD workflow.
Im home to hug my family and planning to return to Haiti as soon as possible.

Doug Jensen January 19th, 2010 07:35 PM

Dennis,
I thought the piece on 60M sunday night was the best Haiti coverage I've seen.
Nice work, as always.
Stay safe when you head back.

Andy Shipsides January 20th, 2010 08:45 AM

I tested a clean install of XDCAM Transfer without Final Cut Pro installed previously. It will playback the proxy material and convert to quicktime without FCP installed. So good news for anyone without the cash for Final Cut. You'll still need it if you want to convert the full quality material of course.

Andy

Peter Beeh January 24th, 2010 01:26 AM

A vote for the brilliance of proxies from me too. Just returned from Timor, working in remote areas with minimal power. Having the ability to offload rushes to my producer in minutes at the end of the day so that they could attend to immediate translations was nothing short of wonderful.

Greg Boston January 27th, 2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Shipsides (Post 1474780)
I tested a clean install of XDCAM Transfer without Final Cut Pro installed previously. It will playback the proxy material and convert to quicktime without FCP installed. So good news for anyone without the cash for Final Cut. You'll still need it if you want to convert the full quality material of course.

Andy

Late to the party here, but that's true about not needing FCP suite for proxy conversion. Using the XDC AM transfer to re-wrap the MPEG4 proxy into a MOV container, you can send them to anyone, PC or MAC. I have done that on many occasions via email to PC based clients.

-gb-

Ian Planchon February 5th, 2010 03:44 PM

I don't have a XDCAM yet, but am curious about the proxies. is that function limited to the 7 and 800? or can the 350 do it as well?

Andy Shipsides February 5th, 2010 09:09 PM

This is a function of the XDCAM disc based cameras. The PMW350 does not produce proxy files this way.