PMW-350 Developing Scene Files (Picture Profiles) - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #106
Inner Circle

Re: PMW-350 Developing Scene Files (Picture Profiles)

Does not matter whether it's Pal or NTSC, should give the same results.
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:07 AM   #107
Regular Crew

First of all, greetings from WTVF-TV Nashville, Tn.
Thanks to everyone on this forum, we're setting up our brand new PMW-350 cams right now from the scene files that we have been working on from this forum, and think that it's wonderful what you've all done to work in the camera to get it away from the terribly unexciting 'Sony out of the box' look.
Our station even bought really good Canon glass for them, and it's incredible the clarity of the images we're getting.

Thanks to Allister, and the rest of you, it's been an enlightening journey into the back end of the camera, and recently, I've seen our cams go from 'blah' to amazing in a few minutes, what the promise of these cameras would be.
Currently, we're liking the Allister colors, but in agreement that the blacks are a bit flat.
However, I'm in disagreement with the rest of the guys, because I'm a bigtime primary and secondary grade kind of guy, and like having the range I can really pull out of it.

Anyway, this is just a thank you note.
I'll be posting our final 'ENG' recipe when we're done. Currently, it's being fought over by fifteen guys right now.
Alex Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #108
Trustee

Alister,

I used these settings on the 320.

Alister-Natural
Master Black -3, Gamma On, Gamma select 4 4609, Gamma Category HG, Detail On, Level -12, H/V Ratio +15, Crispening 0, Frequency +30, White Limit +30, Black Limit +40, Aperture On, Level -20. Matrix On, Preset Matrix On, Preset select 2, User Matrix On, R-G 0, R-B +5, G-R -6, G-B +8, B-R -15, B-G -9

I was wondering what to alter if i wanted to bring out a bit more colour.

Any ideas and thanks for posting these settings btw.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #109
Inner Circle

I can't remember whether the 320 has a saturation level control in the matrix settings. I think it does. If you increase that you will have more saturated colours.

failing that adding the same amount to all the matrix vectors (G-R etc) for example adding +20 to whatever level you have then currently at will increase the saturation. So if R-G = 0 then it becomes +20 and if R-B is +5 then it becomes +25.
Old May 10th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #110
Trustee

Thank you Alister for your help,

I will try that and post back.

Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #111
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I can't remember whether the 320 has a saturation level control in the matrix settings. I think it does. If you increase that you will have more saturated colours.

failing that adding the same amount to all the matrix vectors (G-R etc) for example adding +20 to whatever level you have then currently at will increase the saturation. So if R-G = 0 then it becomes +20 and if R-B is +5 then it becomes +25.
When I turned Multi Matrix on I see Hue and Saturation. Is it this saturation setting your talking about?

Thanks Alister.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #112
Inner Circle

No , not in the multi-matrix, but the standard matrix.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #113
Trustee

Quote:
No , not in the multi-matrix, but the standard matrix.
I dont see a saturation level control in the matrix settings, on the 320 (but then I'm no expert)
Matrix gives me these settings. (now changed to your SF.)
Matrix On
Preset Matrix On
Preset select 2
User Matrix On,
R-G 0, R-B +5, G-R -6, G-B +8, B-R -15, B-G -9

I'm trying these CF settings.

Alister-Natural
Master Black -3, Gamma On, Gamma select 4 4609, Gamma Category HG, Detail On, Level -12, H/V Ratio +15, Crispening 0, Frequency +30, White Limit +30, Black Limit +40, Aperture On, Level -20. Matrix On, Preset Matrix On, Preset select 2, User Matrix On, R-G 0, R-B +5, G-R -6, G-B +8, B-R -15, B-G -9

(In my 320 I noticed the reds a bit flat)

Thanks for your help Alister.
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #114
Trustee

Also wondering,
In my EX3 I had GAMMA SETTING: CINE4 and MATRIX at high sat.

I dont see those options in my 320, are they hidden under a different menu?.
What other option would give me Matrix---High Sat

Thanks in advance.
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #115
Inner Circle

The PMW-320 has Hypergamma as opposed to cinegammas. They are similar in what they do.

The different preset matrices have different saturation levels. I don't have a 320 or 350 and I can't remember what each one does.
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #116
Major Player

Just wondered if someone COULD develop a picture profile that looks like the F3?
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #117
Major Player

Quote:
The Sony folder should be on the cards root, ie next to the BPAV folder, and NOT in the BPAV folder.
Does it have to be a Memory card as the Sony site says or can the imported files be put on a SxS card?
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #118
Inner Circle

To create a PP to look like an F3 wouldn't be to hard, but what really makes the F3 look the way it does id the shallow DoF and no PP will be able to do that.

On a PMW-350/PMW-320 you would want to soften the image just a little, perhaps using detail at -12 (or off) and then use aperture at +30 ish to keep textures crisp. Use CG1/CG3 along with the cinema matrix with saturation at +20. These are suggestions as I don't have a 350 to hand but should be close to an F3 (also use the same gamma/matrix on the F3 if using them side by side).
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #119
Inner Circle

Hi Alister,

May I ask whether you have experimented in the direction of finding the best matching PPs for EX1 and FS100?

I have both, but only now I'm going to use them together - shooting (as usually) live classical music (you know the challenges:)).

Piotr
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #120
Major Player

Just a few words on what I've found trying to make my EX1 somewhat match my F3 ---
In doing a lot af A-B'ing and looking at WFM levels, I found it best to set up a situation I wanted to match, then adjust the picture profiles on both cameras to get a similar look. I started by picking a gamma setting that I thought was fairly close between the two (cinegam3) and that made sense for what I was shooting, but found the matrix numbers I ended up with on the two cameras to match the color were vastly different. All in all, I spent a couple of hours to get the A-B extremely close (close enough for one of my clients whose delivery times are too quick for color correction in post).
If I go into a different kind of lighting situation, I'll start from scratch and do it again...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts