DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   F330 - from Factory settings to real world shooting? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/471765-f330-factory-settings-real-world-shooting.html)

Joachim Ljungquist January 27th, 2010 08:12 AM

F330 - from Factory settings to real world shooting?

Finally I have the camera quite ready to start shooting with it. The batteries arrived and is working, I have updated all the firmware...

During the update I was instructed to reset all settings to Factory Settings.
I'm not sure exactly how much "trouble" this gives me... But I'm quite sure that some new setting has to be made.

Yes - I know that there are no general settings and that a lot depends on the users preferences. But I'd like to have some help here...

This is also my first ENG camera since I've only been using HDV cameras before (Canon XHA1). So there sure are some differences in camera use.

QUESTIONS:

1. Your prefered settings (in general)
2. Should I use auto iris or not
3. My Gain settings are 0db, 9db, 18db.
18db seem to be really unusable. Even 0db gives some grain (test shots inside, natural indoor lighting).
4. How the hell can I see if the exposure is right in the viewfinder? :) - Basically with Zebra?
(Used only the LCD on my Canon XHA1).
5. Any preferred PAINT settings that I should be aware of? (I think that my test shots are a bit to washed out in the blacks and quite noisy).
6. I have no Scene files at the moment... Which ones are good compared to "factory style"?
7. Do you guys turn on and of the Skin Detail from time to time?

Other things that might be good to know?

Are there any "First time shooting with ENG camera guide"? :)

Greg Boston January 27th, 2010 08:27 AM

Yes, I sent you a private message regarding my training DVD. It explains in detail for first time users of full ENG style cameras.

-gb-

Doug Jensen January 27th, 2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Ljungquist (Post 1477875)
Are there any "First time shooting with ENG camera guide"? :)

I would recommend these two videos:

F-350/355 training
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Lighting and Exposure
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Doug Jensen January 27th, 2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Ljungquist (Post 1477875)
5. Any preferred PAINT settings that I should be aware of? (

These are the only paint settings you need: I've been using them for over four years.

MATRIX = ON / HiSat
GAMMA = CINE4
MASTER BLACK = -3
BLACK GAMMA = -2

That's really all you need to change. In fact, based on your level of experience, I would stongly suggest that you NOT change any other paint settings until you can answer some of your other questions yourself - particulary #4.

Joachim Ljungquist January 27th, 2010 12:38 PM

Thanks Greg - and yes, I know the answer is (partly) Zebra...

I'd say that I'm quite experienced in video production - but the way to work with this kind of camera is a bit different from many semi-pro HDV cameras, as my XHA1 for example.

Marshall Staton September 7th, 2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1477979)
These are the only paint settings you need: I've been using them for over four years.

MATRIX = ON / HiSat
GAMMA = CINE4
MASTER BLACK = -3
BLACK GAMMA = -2

That's really all you need to change. In fact, based on your level of experience, I would stongly suggest that you NOT change any other paint settings until you can answer some of your other questions yourself - particulary #4.

With these settings, is everything else "zeroed" out? Or do you use these in addition to the scene files? I primarily do news and most of the majority of the time the video will come out of the camera, into the editor with no color grading.

Doug Jensen September 8th, 2010 04:46 AM

No, everthing else is NOT zeroed out.
The settings I listed previoulsy are the only ones that are different than the "Standard" values. -- and many of those are not zeroed out.

Copy the "standard" paint file settings to one of the blank memories so you start fresh, and then make the changes recommended above to fine-tune the camera.

I guarantee your camera will look great and require no grading.

Marshall Staton September 23rd, 2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1477979)

MATRIX = ON / HiSat
GAMMA = CINE4
MASTER BLACK = -3
BLACK GAMMA = -2

Doug, I've got your dvd but curious to why i can't adjust my master black and the black gamma will only go to 0 and -3 and so on. It won't let me do -2. This is also a pdw-f350 if it matters. Thanks!

Marshall Staton September 23rd, 2010 08:04 PM

My mistake the master black i just had to spin the wheel more than one click, sorry rookie mistake.

Anton Strauss September 24th, 2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Staton (Post 1572352)
My mistake the master black i just had to spin the wheel more than one click, sorry rookie mistake.

I would not call that a rookie mistake, I would call it a bug with the camera

I have the same problem and often have to turn the knob like a madman to get any action on these settings