PDW 330 - Problem with SD format for broadcast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PDW 330 - Problem with SD format for broadcast

Hi,

Seeking the collective wisdom of the group.

The TV station I deliver to are using Sony cams but ingest the files in IMX format in SD. Now, I have the PDW 330, and I have delivered 2 clips in SD - DVCAM. When those files are getting processed in their system, the resulting pictures are "hooping" in broadcast.

Talked to a tech guy out there, and he said the DVCAM from a SONY XDCAM disc has the field order reversed, and that's why the end result had flaws.

I then tried to record in HD - but then we have to transfer the files via Firewire - not an optimal workflow. According to the manual should the camera convert the signal out of the Firewire port to DVCAM - but those pictures are brilliant - no hopping in broadcast. Maybe the cam reverses the field order out of the Firewire port during the conversion???

Now, my question is: Is there anything I can do to rectify the field order in SD in the camera (guess not) - or - would it be an idea to record progressive - at least the field order in progressive shouldn't be a problem.

What do you think? Any hints/help would be appreciated - I'm fairly new to this format :-)
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:24 AM   #2
Major Player

wow, what equipment are they using? changing the field order of a file is a split second operation with any software that i know

the F330 DVCAM should produce correct field order files at lower field first, can you check what their field order is?

and XDCAM HD files are upper field first
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Trustee

I use my Sony PDW f350 everyday and can tell you that DVCAM is lower field and HD is upperfield.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Anton & Simon,

Thanks for clarifying that. I will go back to them with the info.

I have also always thought that the upper/lower field was something you basically could deal with in post, and just select the one to use for further processing. But maybe their editors aren't that educated :-)

But what is the big difference then between XDCAM HD/SD and XDCAM IMX, since they have their system (Avid) set up for IMX?
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

This is a very common problem with NLE's. If you set up the NLE for non DV editing then it will treat all files as upper field first. Then when you import DV or DVCAM which is lower field first it gets handled incorrectly with the field order reversed. Why on earth DV has the reverse field order to everything else I don't know! One further complication is that many edit suites only have the computer displays or an LCD screen for viewing and these more often than not, won't show up field order errors as they are progressive devices. It's only when the finished edit is broadcast and viewed on CRT TV's that the problem becomes apparent.

A simple "swap field order" filter on the DVCAM clips would as has been said fix the problem.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Major Player

if you use Edius as your NLE, you can start an upper field project and any lower field file that is placed on timeline is automatically inheriting the field order of the project, no need to switch anything

I mix and match lower and upper field files all day long, no problem
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #7
Major Player

surely every professional NLE should support DVCAM as well - its a matter of project settings OR reflag your media (if possible in the NLE).

Another Method COULD be to shoot in HD or SD and convert it to IMX MXF in your own NLE.

(from time to time I am using Vegas for this) .

IMX is upper field again.

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

When I edit XDCAM HD clips into Final Cut Pro SD sequences, FCP automatically adds a shift field direction filter. It can be changed to -1, none, or +1. The footage looks good cut together.

Dan
Daniel Larson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts