DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   file transfer from my F 330 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/475721-file-transfer-my-f-330-a.html)

Moshe Gelber March 27th, 2010 04:26 PM

file transfer from my F 330

Hi,
One of the files in the disc "refuse" to be transfer to my computer. i got the massage:
"Cannot copy 001, The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". the sub file (proxy), can be transfered. of course i can't use it because of it's quality.
i have to say that it happened to me me few times in the past, but this time it's very important file.
i'll apreciate a lot any help or advice.
thanks, Moses

Les Jarrett March 27th, 2010 07:37 PM

Moshe,

How large is the file?

Luc De Wandel March 28th, 2010 12:21 PM

How are you transferring the file: via the camera or a separate reader, such as the U1?

Moshe Gelber March 28th, 2010 01:58 PM

file transfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Jarrett (Post 1506442)
Moshe,

How large is the file?

the file is 10G

Moshe Gelber March 28th, 2010 02:02 PM

file transfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel (Post 1506639)
How are you transferring the file: via the camera or a separate reader, such as the U1?

im doing it via the camera's firewire. tx for your reply.

Moshe Gelber March 28th, 2010 11:14 PM

file transfer

this error happened to me few times in the past, with big and small files as well. new and used media as well. never twice on the same media. always the sub foldwe passed succesfully. strange, ah?

Uli Mors March 29th, 2010 03:41 AM

Are you sure to copy to a HD that can hold large files (NTFS , MAC?)?

often enough I found myself copying to a FAT32 HD - cant produce larger files (>4gb)...

To be honest, this is the only idea that comes to my mind - the disc is nearly undestroyable.

A) CAN YOU PLAY THE CLIP IN THE CAMERA?

B) if yes, the disk is fine - just in case, set the cam to AVC (instead FAM) and play the video out via firewire (SD, but better than proxy...)

C) if not:Open the lids of the disk and have a look if its dirty or dusty somewhere.
If so, you can carefully clean it.

ULi

Moshe Gelber March 29th, 2010 07:12 AM

file transfer

the file play good by the camera

Uli Mors March 29th, 2010 08:36 AM

Good. So the file on the disc shouldnt be the problem.

Is the destination NTFS?

ULI

Les Jarrett March 29th, 2010 08:37 AM

Moshe,

Try importing small clips, 10-15 seconds at a time. If this works for all your clips, then your file is too large to import on your drive in one import.

This has happened to me, and I've had to resort to importing in clip sizes ranging from 15 seconds to about a minute, then editing it all back together.

Painful, yes, but it can be done. I just had to import two complete 70 minute programs that way that were archived before I knew about the file size limitations.

Uli Mors March 29th, 2010 08:44 AM

Les, this NEVER happened to me - neither on my old P4 nor my laptop nor my actual quadcore PC. And I have about 250 Discs laying around...

You are right - perhaps the file is too big, there are dedicated limitations under Windows , for example Fat16/32 or simply speed. On the other hand, 10Gig is not big in these times. A complete 60 min HDV file is also 12Gig...

IŽd suspect there is something wrong with the system or the harddrive.

Just in case: You can also create a EDL with PDZ1 software and export smaller HiRes MXF files to your HD (based on Editlist).
Sometimes this helps exporting small files out of a giant disc file.

ULI

Alister Chapman March 30th, 2010 02:47 AM

This problem normally crops up when someone is trying to copy a file to an external USB hard drive. Most external hard drives are supplied formatted using Fat32 as this can be read by both Mac's and PC's. But Fat32 has a file size limit of 4Gb so you are limited to around 8 mins for XDCAM HD422 and IMX50.

I have also seen similar errors when using multiple firewire devices on the same firewire bus. Occasionally when you have both a DV deck and the XDCAM camera (or firewire hard drive) connected to the computer at the same time you will get a conflict that can prevent files from being copied.

Moshe Gelber March 30th, 2010 02:24 PM

file transfer

it happened to me to small files and big as well. i don't think there is connection to the file size. i'm recording very often the whole disc in one shot...20G...

Uli Mors March 31st, 2010 12:52 AM

one more solution - perhaps better:

When you copy via drag and drop in the Exlorer (Windows) , Windows only offers a "stupid" copy routine.

As an alternative you can use the actual SONY EX CLIP BROWSER.
Originally developed for XDCAM EX this software is capable to view and copy XDCAM HD files from the disk too.
Simply search for the disk drive letter, select all previews and drag them into a new folder in the second browser.

Different to Windows copy the EX Clip Browser offers different Options to check that the copy went ok.

Uli