DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   How do you clean your lens? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/475931-how-do-you-clean-your-lens.html)

Simon Denny March 31st, 2010 02:26 AM

How do you clean your lens?

What do you guys use to you clean your lens and also the glass on the camera body.

I'm using some Rosco lens tissue along with Rosco lens drops but I'm having a hard time keeping my lens clean than ever before.

Any suggestions?

Steve Phillipps March 31st, 2010 02:45 AM

I hardly ever use lens fluid - only after the lens has got particularly grimy for some special reason. Otherwise I just breathe on the lens and use a cotton handkerchief/lens cloth/tissue, and do it gently and regularly.
Steve

Walter Brokx March 31st, 2010 04:39 AM

I tried to avoid physical contact as much as possible. So when there is just some dust (maybe 3 tiny 'pieces of dust') I use a bellows to blow them away.
If the lens is really dirty (from a rainy day, grease of something else that sticks) I use a clean fibercloth from my opticien and sometimes some cleaning fluid.

Justin Hewitt March 31st, 2010 06:00 AM

Carbon Pen

no fluids needed

Paul Cronin March 31st, 2010 07:50 AM

Simon I have a range of gear in my lens cleaning kit. But really I am cleaning the B+W UV filter since that never comes off. Every once in a while I will remove the filter and check the front of the lens but rarely do I even find dust.

Items in lens cleaning kit:
1. Purosol Microfiber Cleaning cloths 16"x12"
2. Carl Zeiss Cleaning cloth (one time use with fluid on the cloth from Zeiss) This really will clean anything off the lens but needs buffing with the Purosol micro fiber afterwards. These are the best I have ever used and nothing I have ever tried compares. But only for the stubborn ones.
3. Bellows brush for dust only
4. Hakuba Lens Pen I will try this prior to the Carl Zeiss cloth.

Tim Kolb March 31st, 2010 08:15 AM

I usually work primarily with a Lenspen... If you've got a set of 35mm Zeiss Primes I might not go right to the lenspen, but for most things, I've found them to be very good, and certainly easier to use than fluids and tiny, tissue-like wipes.

Also, the felt 'button' or whatever it is on the non-brush end of the lenspen works very efficiently on water spots.

Simon Denny March 31st, 2010 12:47 PM

Thanks guys,
Some good ideas that I will try.
I'm constantly flying so my camera is packed up daily and this is introducing dust onto my lens and the camera body glass and I'm trying to find a solution to clean this when I setup again in the field and at times it is really hard to see all the dust on the glass due to our blistering sun here in Australia.

Cheers

Alister Chapman April 3rd, 2010 02:16 AM

I use a large Selvyt lens cloth when the lens is dry and a chamois leather if the lens is wet. If working in a dusty environment I use a camel hair brush to brush away any dust before attempting to wipe the lens.
The Chamois leather is by far the best that I have found for wet weather at is absorbs the water where most lens cloths would simply smear it around.