Sony PMW-320K/L at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 10th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Tourist

Sony PMW-320K/L

Looks like, Sony is introducing, a new EX series camera, at NAB this year.
It's called the PMW-320 its basically a 1/2" imager version of the PMW-350

Sony Business Solutions & Systems - Featured

Quote:
SONY REDEFINES THE CAPABILITIES OF SOLID-STATE
PRODUCTION WITH NEW XDCAM EX CAMCORDERS

Shoulder-mount models now Available with ½-inch and 2/3-inch
Imagers to Address Specific Needs of Production Community

LAS VEGAS (NAB Booth #C11001) April 11, 2010 – The expanding family of Sony’s XDCAM EX™ video products now includes two shoulder-mount camcorders that deliver new levels of creativity and flexibility for solid-state digital production.

The products include Sony’s 2/3-inch CMOS memory camcorder, the PMW-350, and now a ½-inch version, the PMW-320.

“Since it was first introduced, Sony designed the XDCAM EX series to be flexible enough to grow and expand as our customers’ production needs change,” said Bob Ott, vice president, Sony Electronics’ broadcast and professional audio/video products business. “These new products redefine solid-state production, with improvements achieved in features, performance, and ergonomics.”

Both camcorders have three Exmor™ full HD 1920x1080 CMOS imagers, and are studio-configurable, with timecode in/out, genlock in, and HD-SDI and HDMI out. The PMW-350 camcorder features a DVCAM recording and playback as an option; with both features offered as standard on the PMW-320.

Users can choose between the lens-packaged models, PMW-350K and PMW-320K, or versions without lenses, PMW-350L or PMW-320L. To enhance editing interoperability with Sony’s XDCAM HD 422 camcorders, both the PMW-350 and PMW-320 camcorders feature 1440x1080 recording mode at 35Mbps.

Both camcorders can also be used in studio configurations, using the optional 50-pin adapter CBK-CE01, as well as the camera adapter, XDCA-55, and camera extension unit, XDCU-55.

Sony is also delivering new solid-state memory choices to complement these new camcorders. An affordable series of Sony’s SxS™ memory cards, SxS-1™ (model SBS-32G1, 32 GB) offers compact and high speed transfer and supports a wide range of motion.

The cameras are also available with an adapter, MEAD-MS01, for using Sony’s Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™ HX Series media, which can be used as an “emergency” recording option. An adapter is also available for SanDisk Class 10 SDHC card use (MEAD-SD01). Current owners of Sony’s PMW-EX1, PMW-EX1R as well as PMW-EX3 can use the MEAD-MS01 or MEADS-D01 by upgrading the camera’s firmware.

A hard-disk recording unit, model PHU-120R, offers a recording capacity of 120 GB. The new PXU-MS240 mobile storage unit can be used to transfer data from SxS memory cards to the unit for nearly continuous back-up or off-load of video clips. The unit stores content on a removable hard disk drive (HDD) cartridge, model PXU-HC240, which can store up to 240 GB of data or up to 17 hours of content in SP mode.

The following is suggested list pricing and planned availability for the new products:

• PMW-320K, $14800, availability in August
• PMW-320L, $12800, available in August
• MEAD-MS01, $120, now available
• MEAD-SD01, $110, now available
Colin Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

That'll make a lot of people happy - is EX3 users who've been wanting shoulder mount. Also 15 second cache, another thing that was missing.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Hot dog, that's what we were missing. Thanks for posting that link! Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Tourist

Your welcome

Your welcome :-).
Colin Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Eight-page brochure in PDF format:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/ext/Broa..._pmw350320.pdf

Colin's right, basically the 320 is the 1/2-inch version of the PMW350.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Major Player

Strange the SD/DVCAM feature is standard on the PMW-320 but an option on the PMW-350. Sony makes strange choices so now and then.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Yea it's the same camera with 1/2 inch sensors. Does that mean it's nearly the same price? :)
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Really happy about this announcement - now I won't be tempted to buy another camera to replace my EX1 - to me 1/2" sensors = same picture quality. I am sure the new model will be over twice if not 2 1/2 times the cost of the EX1(r) + more weight, more problems with transporting etc. I am sure a number of the true professionals on this forum will like the shoulder mount form factor but with the 3rd party modifications to my EX1 (shoulder brace from Westside AV) I am still a happy camper.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks for posting. Interesting.

I would guess that the pricing is going to be related to the new HPX-370.

I also wonder about the skew, better, or the same as the EX-1.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Major Player

Great.
my questions would be
can i get the outputs to all work at the same time (unlike the ex1r) or at least a few more at once. it is really nice having SDI and HDMI, it would be nicer if they both worked at the same time without more stuff added outside.
how close at standard settings will the overall picture (not lens) be similar to the ex1r. (is this a baby 350 or a shoulder mount EX)
does it have that slot for the UHF stereo diversity wireless? (not that i require that, but thought it was interesting)
(in the PDF) do they actually disable S&Q when using SxS adaptions "slow motion and salvage not supported"

and
can i get it for less than 9k -accessories with my poor persons discount
when are they going to start putting in the 7" full hd resolution outdoor viewing fold out touch screen monitors on these things. (that comes after me wanting a lower price:-)
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Now I am in a real fix sony pmw-320 or ex1r. my fear is that I will be taken seriously as pro compare to ex1r. earlier my tought was on ex1r but now with this....
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
Yea it's the same camera with 1/2 inch sensors. Does that mean it's nearly the same price? :)
Although they do look the same, the brochure says the 320 uses the 1/2 inch lenses.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Now the big question is....how much? and, how soon available?
Old April 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I hope this stay under $10K
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #15
Major Player

HA, you'll be lucky to get the body only for 15k.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts