Where to download FAM 2.3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 15th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Where to download FAM 2.3

I'm assuming that's all i will need to have my f350 show up in windows?
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Simply download Sonys PDZ1 Software (Proxy Viewer, actual version 2.70) - the second step of installation installs the "ProDisc" drivers, thats FAM.

Regards

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Major Player

So I've downloaded the new version of pdz1 and fam 2.3 and i still don't see my camera show up as a drive. The cam says pc connect or something along those lines and my laptop makes the noise like a new device is connected but i cant seem to find it. I'm using windows 7 home 32 bit.
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Major Player

in the cameras menu, set output to FAM mode
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:37 AM   #5
Major Player

did it work?
The drive shows up when you put a (written) disk in the drive.

If nothing happens it *could* be that the FW on your camera is dead? (computer sometimes still sees it, but it doesnt work).

regards

uli
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Uli,

I do have the (same ?) problem, that the status "remote control" (or "remote connect"?) only shows up shortly in the viewfinder and display. After this the camera is in normal mode again and FAM doesn't work. Sometime it helps to switch the camera (F330) off and on an few times until the remote control status is established and stays.

I used to have a notebook where this problem almost never occured. With my desktop PC I have those kind of problems every third attempt I try to connect the camera. With my new notebook only 1 out of 10 tries is succesfull.

I reinstalled the driver several times. I wish the firewire connection was more realiable in FAM mode.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Stephan
Stephan Hubenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:02 AM   #7
Major Player

hmm... usually when I hook up the cam the FIRST time after PC start, it runs fine.
Often enough I simply pull the cable without closing connection first, and then the pc doesnt recognize the cam when I reconnect - switching the cam off - 5 seconds wait - an on mostly helps.

Somebody told me: On a laptop most external I/Os (like USB, FIWI, etc.) run thru one controller and sometimes this controller is too busy to speak QUICKLY to the camera - and so they miss each other. Sounds a bit too easy, but there may be some truth in it also.

uli
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, the strange thing is, that most of the time the connection is established. (You hear that windows-device-sound too) but hen it's gone after a second.

Nobody else having this strange kind of problem? (This is extremely anoying, if you are on a tight time schedule and you just don't get the files onto your editing computer...)

Thanks

Stephan
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Major Player

I used to have this problem on my windows PC too, not only with my camera, but also with other firewire devices. I even changed the firewire board in the PC, to no avail. In the end I got so fed up with this inconsistency, that I sold the PC and bought a Mac. Never had any problems since: all my firewire apparatuses are recognised immediately and transfers work fine.

In the meantime, I found myself a second hand U1-writer-reader and that is even better, of course. No need to use the camera anymore.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Luc,

a U1-deck of course is the best solution (for backing up my EX1-data too...), I just couldn't find one yet, that was second hand and I don't want to pay that much, after I've allready invested quite a bit buying that 16x9 viewfinder - with the standardviewfinder sitting in the box ever after since.

May I ask you how much paid for the U1? (excluding tax)

Thank you very much

Stephan
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Major Player

I got very lucky (just as my name says ;-) and I found one only 100 km from my home, for 1600,- euros, excl. VAT. Fantastic solution indeed! Hope you find one too, soon.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for your answer, lucky luc ;-) That indeed is a great price and more than worth it.
Stephan Hubenthal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts