sonnet qio-e34, any users? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 28th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #16
Inner Circle

There are a couple of un-used eSata ports on the motherboard of the MacPros that can be connected to a low cost external eSata back-plane adapter, or you can add a PCI adapter to give you a couple of external eSata ports.

If you use the PXU-MS240 you can copy directly from the SxS card to the computer, you don't have to copy to the device first.
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #17
Major Player

My need are a cardreader that can hold more than one SxS card. When I record a footballgame or handball with 2 or 3 cameras - I often have between a half and a hole hour before I shall deliver a final program. I cannot use the time with tranferring data to a disk - I must edit directly from the cards. Today I can use my SDHC adapters and take the SD cards out and place them in small USB2 converters - its just a lot of messing around with the small cards. The panasonic solution with the PCD-10/20/35 just do that job with P2 cards. We need one for SxS with lightning speed - I hoped for the Sonnet with use of at least 2 SxS cards - but no driver for windows yet - not even a beta.....
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #18
Inner Circle

If you use the cameras you can access 2 cards in each camera. There's no reason why you can't connect multiple cameras.
Old April 28th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #19
Major Player

I cannot lock my cameras to the editing system - Of course I can buy an extra camera as a cardreader - but still just two slots.
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
There are a couple of un-used eSata ports on the motherboard of the MacPros that can be connected to a low cost external eSata back-plane adapter, or you can add a PCI adapter to give you a couple of external eSata ports.

If you use the PXU-MS240 you can copy directly from the SxS card to the computer, you don't have to copy to the device first.
Yes, I am aware of their existence and in fact, some time ago I purchased an extension or externalization kit but have been reluctant to dismantle the computer to accomplish the installation. BTW, the nexto allows for copying to itself and computer simultaneously via USB, firewire or eSata and has ports for SDHC and CF, a feature that the Sony lacks, although I am not certain that one can copy SDHC simultaneously to drive and computer via eSata. Therefore, if I were to make the decision to install the eSata kit there would be little justification to spend another $1300 for the Sony device. As for a Pci adapter, there is no more room at the inn—all slots taken.

That said, doesn't it seem a tad odd, that in this day of technological innovation, high end camcorders and the assumed desire of manufacturers such as the Sony corporation to increase their market base, that we are still faced with Rube Goldberg—makeshift—solutions to something as basic as data transfer? Leaving us to struggle with consumer grade data transfer devices for our professional grade cameras. From my perspective, it's analogous to building a Formula one racing car without the availability of high speed tires—it makes little sense from any viewpoint. While I have recently transitioned away from Panasonic cameras, I must admit that they deserve credit for anticipating the aforementioned missing link with the release of their high speed, multi-card, albeit costly, P2 readers.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #21
Trustee

I wonder if the e-MCR readers work with the Sony SD adapter. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/662242-REG/E_Films_1501_e_MCR_High_Speed_Multi.html
I guess they would since both use USB 2.0 as their interface.

About my SD speed comment: I was referring to offloading data from the adapter, which only uses USB 2.0 - and that limits the xfer speed.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #22
Major Player

"About my SD speed comment: I was referring to offloading data from the adapter, which only uses USB 2.0 - and that limits the xfer speed."

Thank you for the clarification. But it would seem that the point is moot, since I haven't found a reader that will recognize the Sony SDHC adapter ... unless I missed one in my search.
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Bo,
excuse me if I have misunderstood your post, but it sounds like you may not be aware of Sony's SBAC-US10 reader? Just in case, here it is:

Sony | SBAC-US10 SxS Memory Card USB Reader/Writer | SBAC-US10

Ron,
Just how fast is the Panasonic reader?

I find the 4x to 5x speed I get with the SBAC-US10 to be more than fast enough for my purposes. I just got done importing 86 minutes of video from a shoot this morning in about 20 minutes. I wasn't watching the clock to see exaclty how fast it was, but the footage was ready to go long before I was ready to start editing.
Hi Doug:

I found this article that addresses the above question and more in regards to the Sonnet Qio, here is the link:
Varicam in Los Angeles - The P2 Blog - Sonnet QIO ? Not SoFast
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #24
Major Player

I hope the delay in the windows driver is because they want it to work faster than the mac combination....
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #25
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
Hi Doug:I found this article that addresses the above question and more in regards to the Sonnet Qio, here is the link:
Varicam in Los Angeles - The P2 Blog - Sonnet QIO ? Not SoFast
Thanks. That was interesting reading.
Fortunately I find the SxS workflow fast enough for my needs, but I have to agree that faster is always better. What I wish for is a faster way to ingest XDCAM optical without spending $20K on a deck that has a bunch of features I don't need. The PDW-U1 is convenient, but it's slow.
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #26
Major Player

I had my computer out of the rack to install my new GTX 470 card and at the same time I put my PCIe extension card in it for my Sonnet QIO . Now I tried to put both an SxS adapter with SD card and a P2 card in the Sonnet reader and they both works !!!! But just one P2 slot. The controller for the extra esata drives dont work. Installed P2 drivers with P2 cards in both slot and SxS drivers from SONY site - made the SxS card working too. Sonnet reader works in Windows 7-64 bit.....
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #27
Major Player

Nice to hear that you've got the Sonnet working and with the SxS adapter no less. Did you get a feel for the transfer speed with, what I assume was as SDHC card in the SxS adapter, as compared to the usual desktop SD card reader?
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #28
Major Player

Have not mesured time exactly but it seems to be the same speed as USB2 card readers.........
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #29
Major Player

That is disappointing, but thank you for your reply.

I guess I will continue to use the SxS cards exclusively, retaining the Sony adapters and SDHC cards for absolute emergencies as suggested by Sony. Between the Sony adapters and the Sandisk Extreme 32 gb class 10 SDHC cards, a lot of money was spent unnecessarily and would have been better spent on one extra SxS card ... well, at least the SDHC cards don't expire.

On another note, I have noticed that the ingestion of data from the aforementioned SDHC cards is extremely fast when plugged into the Nexto NVS2500, which represents an optional alternative. However, it does not recognize the Sony adapters and the SDHC card must be removed from the adapter for use with the Nexto.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:26 AM   #30
Inner Circle

SD card ingest on the Nexto is fast, but still not as fast as SxS.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts