sonnet qio-e34, any users? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 26th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Major Player

sonnet qio-e34, any users?

I have just transitioned from Panasonic P2 back to SxS (PMW-350)and have been dismayed by the lack of progress in card readers for the latter. While the Panasonic 5 slot P2 card reader is extremely fast there appears to be no Sony counterpart. However, I am intrigued by the new Sonnet Qio-e34 and wonder if there are any SxS/SDHC users who have tried or own the device and what their experience has been in regards to transfer speed?

Thank you in advance.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Trustee

Isn't that device $850? Also, when using Clipbrowser, I thought it can only import from one card at a time.

If you have a free PCI Express slot, you can get the Siig PCIe to Expresscard adapter Micro Center - SIIG PCIe to ExpressCard Bay

This is what I use and the speed is great.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi and thank you for your suggestion. However, the alleged multi-format capability of the Sonnet (P2, SxS, SDHC, CF) is more along the lines of what I am searching for. After I remove my P2 card reader, I will have only one free slot in my Mac 8 core and I would like to maximize the use of that solitary availability.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Mine Qio it still standing on the shelf waiting for window drivers. Their homepage claims they will come soon / maybe I can give you an review in 2011.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Thank you for the offer.
I have reviewed the transfer rates listed on the Sonnet site ... disappointing, at best. The Sony SxS reader claims a considerably higher transfer rate and that's via USB-2. It's hard to comprehend why the Pcie version of the Sonnet should be so slow when, for example, the Panasonic PCD-35 is many, many times faster for P2. Even the Sony is not maxing out the capability of USB-2. That said, one has to wonder why Sony hasn't produced an SxS equivalent of the speedy Panasonic 5 slot reader unless, the release of their own SCHC adapter is suggestive of a future shift away from SxS.
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes - it is strange that SONY do not have made a cardreader for the computer with SxS. Strange - because they make a lot of other cardreaders and memorycards. Maybe you are right that the just are waiting for the SDXC cards to be on the market (as they should be now) and are planing to make a card (SxS maybe) with two SDXC cards inside..... :) And the reason why they did not made the reader yet, was a quistion of developement for the future cards...
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Vortex Media

Bo,
excuse me if I have misunderstood your post, but it sounds like you may not be aware of Sony's SBAC-US10 reader? Just in case, here it is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/526430-REG/Sony_SBAC_US10_SBAC_US10_SxS_Memory_Card.html

Ron,
Just how fast is the Panasonic reader?

I find the 4x to 5x speed I get with the SBAC-US10 to be more than fast enough for my purposes. I just got done importing 86 minutes of video from a shoot this morning in about 20 minutes. I wasn't watching the clock to see exaclty how fast it was, but the footage was ready to go long before I was ready to start editing.
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Doug:
I cannot give you exact specs off the top of my head but I can transfer 32gb of P2 with the Panny reader (PCD-35 Pcie) in what seems like a quarter of the time it takes for the Sony reader which, BTW, I do own, to transfer a 32 gb card. Admittedly, that may be an exaggerated perception but in reality it is considerably faster, and I suspect should be, given that it uses its own Pcie interface whereas the Sony is USB-2. However, my problem with the Sony reader is that it will not recognize Sony's own SDHC adapter loaded with their suggested Sandisk Extreme Class 10 32 gig SDHC card and I am searching for a faster transfer device. The off-the-shelf Sandisk reader that I have been using is as slow as molasses and if there is nothing better, then the SDHC approach has little value for me and my 350, other than as Sony suggests---emergency purposes.
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Major Player

Sorry - I do have the USB Sony Card reader. What I really thought of was that it is strange that they do not have a fast cardreader. SONY folks said that P2 was outdated when they anounced the SxS cards. The SxS cards could transfer data many times faster than the P2 cards - Only problem is that we have not seen it yet as they only make a USB2 card reader. What I mean is that it could not be a problem for a big company as SONY to make a SxS PCIe/esata/usb3 card reader that will blast out P2 card speeds - if it is correct that SxS is faster......
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Major Player

I agree. Unless there are technical issues that preclude such a device, there certainly are enough users to justify its design and production and as for cost, the Panasonic PCD-35 sells for almost $2000.00. I would gladly pay that much for something as fast and capable of dealing with the sxs cards ... even better if it was SDHC capable.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You can use the Sony Mobile Storage Unit (PXU-MS240) as a card reader by plugging it in to a computer via eSata and then select "Connect to SxS" on the unit. It then acts as a very fast card reader, all be it an expensive one! I can off load a 16Gb SxS card in around 3-4 mins.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Major Player

Thank you, Alister.

It is a good idea, but I already have a Nexto NVS 2500 which is also quite speedy. Furthermore, it would require an external eSata port on the host computer, something I doubt my 8core MacPro has. I am just trying to reduce the steps and time involved in transferring media and using either introduces yet another step in the process. The one thing that I have not yet compared,however, is the transfer time of SDHC to Nexto as compared to a reader. If there is a significant difference in favor of the Nexto then the extra step may be justifiable.

In the field, however, either of the two devices would prove indespensable.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #13
Major Player

I tried the Nexto with a class 10 Sandisk Extreme SDHC ... compared to a standard SDHC reader, the Nexto is lightening fast!!! Looks like the Nexto is the quickest way to get the job done, even with the extra step required to transfer from Nexto to desktop and may even be a more expeditious means of transferring data from SxS cards as well.
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #14
Trustee

Just remember that any time you use SD or MS cards with an adapter, you are only using the USB interface; so, your speeds will be limited.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #15
Major Player

"Just remember that any time you use SD or MS cards with an adapter, you are only using the USB interface; so, your speeds will be limited."

Not sure I follow. Are you referring to the USB limitation in re data transfer? If so, the Nexto mentioned in my most recent post is capable of data transfer via USB-2, Firewire or eSata. Or are you referring to record speed capability of the SDHC card itself? Furthermore, in regards to the former, the SDHC card must be removed from the adapter for data transfer to the Nexto which does not recognize the adapter in much the same way the Sony SxS reader refuses to acknowledge its presence.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts