Long term battery strategy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 30th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Long term battery strategy

I run a PDW F350, and for the last 3 years I have been using Anton Bauer batteries. I currently have one of the new Dionic HC's, a three year old Hytron 140, and a three year old Dionic 90.

I mostly shoot sports news, and my shifts usually are only four hours or so, which explains why I don't run too many batteries.

The old Dionic 90 is getting pretty tired, and I'm using it as a spare. The Hytron 140 still has decent legs, though I hate carrying it on the camera because of the weight, so I mostly use it for tripod work, file transfers, or when I need to run a 50watt sungun.

The Dionic HC is new and it replaced another failed Dionic 90 which would shut down at the 40% mark. It was only about 13 months old when it developed the problem.

I've been getting by with a T2 charger(two batteries at a time), but could really use another charger.

While I have had pretty good results from this battery system, I have a few complaints. The Dionic 90's don't seem to have a very long run time, and while they are able to power my F350 and a 20W light they reportedly struggle with F700/800 cameras. The Dionic HC seems to have slightly less run time than the Dionic 90, but can handle heavier current draw ok.

I need to add a couple more batteries pretty soon, most likely in the 95amp range, and another charger, probably a travel type.

Is it worth considering other makes, or am I just as well off sticking with Anton?

If I switch, I might move to V the mount which would require me to constantly remove the Anton adapter plate that I currently use. This would be a pain, but I could still use my current batteries until they are finished. Alternately, I could stick with gold mount style batteries.

Any thoughts on alternative makes or other considerations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Peter, the XDCAM HD cams are notorious power hogs (just check the specs in your manual). While a Dionic 90 will run them for a while a 100W battery or more is required for decent run times. I love my Dionics too because of their light weight but they simply just don't have the juice and are pain to fly with. It's not the manufacturer - just physics. If you've gotten 3 years out of a battery that's about all you should expect.

Your problem battery most likely needs a discharge/evaluation cycle with a full sized AB charger. If that doesn't work call AB. I've been most happy with their customer service over the last 20 years.
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Rick,
My dealer treated me well with the problem battery, they gave the new Dionic HC battery in exchange. So no complaints here. I'm just wondering where to go next.
Anton Bauer have just announced a new 120amp High Current Dionic, which would probably be good, except for air travel.
I'm curious as to whether other 95amp batteries such as IDX, Dynacore, or Global, etc. are much better than the Dionic 90's or not. If they are not, then I would likely stick with Anton, as I am already invested in one AB charger, and they have been good dependable batteries for the most part.
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Newsom View Post
I'm just wondering where to go next.
Anton Bauer have just announced a new 120amp High Current Dionic, which would probably be good, except for air travel. I'm curious as to whether other 95amp batteries such as IDX, Dynacore, or Global, etc. are much better than the Dionic 90's or not.
Again it comes down to physics. A 95 amp battery is a 95 amp battery. Doesn't matter so much who's name is on the battery, it's still power. After that quality of construction and customer service come in. I'm also suspicious of Chinese batteries because of the possibility of that the manufacturer may have cut corners in the quality or materials department (seems there's a recall every other day of some Chinese made product). If you are happy with AB as I have been for the last 20+ years stay with them.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Peter I am powering my f800 with Switronix Pro-X XP-L130S batteries. I have three and that lets me run a full day if I don't have anything else pulling power from the battery. The L130 charges quickly for their size and the weight is great for the 130wh they provide. If you are considering a change they are worth the look.

My charger is a Switronix dual GP-2LSJ
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It's also a good idea if you have an Anton Bauer charger to have the latest firmware installed. This is an eeprom(around $50) you can install yourself. Apparently a fairly recent version is important for the Dionic series.
Gene Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts