Disc Name/ Title, can't change in PDW-700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 21st, 2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Disc Name/ Title, can't change in PDW-700

Searched the forums and the Jensen book and my disc name is "stuck" on TEST. I went into the disc menu and under Disc Properties changed the User Disc ID to a different title and discs are still showing as TEST in XDCAM transfer as Source. There must be some name stuck in the memory stick, but I can't seem to find it. Big frustration with Sony that seems to place attributes for title, disc name, etc in several places which is causing my dead-end. Any ideas?
Thank you,
George
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Major Player

I am afraid you are right.

Though deleting clips from disk result in deleted proxys on USB Stick too, it looks like a disk name change is not updated to USB STick.

If 100% necessary (remember: The disk is recognized by its ID number, not by the name), you can rename the disk, erase the USB Stick and "COPY ALL" again, then the disk name will be transfered again.

I sent this to Sony a while ago an hope to see it in the next update...

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Setting Title with New disk

Thank you Uli,
How would you suggest going about formatting, or using blank disk so it has a disc name that is different from before and is new? As far as the old disc, I had a glimmer of hope in XDCAM transfer which has an entry field for disc name, but it the disc is listed as read only. I considered, but didn't rename in my Mac not knowing what havoc this could bring when I returned it to the camera... unknown meta-data hell?

Thanks for your answer and it tells me this is a problem for many others.

George
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM   #4
New Boot

I believe the name of the disc shown by Finder is actually stored in the DISCMETA.XML file when you give the disc a name with Finder or XDCAM Transfer. Editing that on your USB stick should do the trick.

If you have a formatted disc mounted over FAM then it should be writable. I don't understand why it should not be. No harm in renaming your disc on your Mac but if XDCAM Transfer says the disc is 'read only' then the chances are that Finder won't be able to write to the disc, either.
Daniel Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi ,

the pdw700 /800 cant transfer USB Metadata to Disc. So changing USB Stick´s Metadata (Clipnames, Diskname, Comments) cant be written back to disk IN THE CAMERA itself.

On the PC side, you can use the PDZ1 (direct mode) Software to do so.
Just use the USB Stick (it will be recognized like a disk) AND connect the disk via firewire or (U1) USB. When you "write back to disk" your changes, it will be written to the USB Stick AND the disk - so you have changes on both.

Unfortunately I have no idea if this works with XDCAM transfer the same way...

Anyone?

ULi
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Disc Name and clip names

Seems that Sony put more planning and options for Clip Names than Disk Title/Name. Shooting last Friday I changed discs and the clip counter reset to 0001... any quick ideas to have them continue to increment up after a disc change? I did not want to start another thread for this one question.
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Major Player

in this case the name setting must be set to "free name" - so the C***** is not the internal numeration but a customer name. If you do so, this free ("customer") name counts on and on.

Dont forget to change the deck or U1 or camera to "free name" if you ingest the clips - otherwise the XDCAM driver renames all transfered clip file names to C5000 and up.

Regards

ULI
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Uli! Another Sony idiosyncrasy untangled. Happy shooting, George
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Major Player

I guess the C5000... system was implemented in case you managed to create double filenames on the disk (there are ways to do it). If so, "freename" file names can create a windows desaster - since Windows does not check the file´s ID but the filename only (and will overwrite old "same" files eventually).

My standard settings on all XDCAM machines is free name - with C***** preset or my own prename (shoot XYZ_0001 etc.)

ULi
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Major Player

New Software was the answer

I updated all the Sony desktop software and was able to make menu selection for free naming on that side and now disc titles appear to be "sticking". Someday we will hopefully see an updater utility in the Sony software applications.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts