F330 - Adding an SDI option? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 7th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

F330 - Adding an SDI option?

Or - it could be "Learning an old dog new tricks" :-)

I have a F330, and as we all know it has no SDI. Now, what would the smartest/easiest/handiest solution to add and SDI-option to the camera, so that is's onboard all the time.

It could either be an external stuck-on thingie or some other creative solution. It would also be great to power the thingie from the camera,

Has anybody done this before? I know there are various mini converters out there, but it looks like they all use a separate power supply to work. I'm looking for a permanent solution that could sit on-cam all the time and we could just plug in a wire and get SDI with embedded audio out.

Any ideas?
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi,

I ran different approaches to find out if the 350s SDI Board could be implemented into the 330. But if so, the whole camera must be "redesigned" to 350 because of the SDI Menus etc.

The only solution I see is an external HD Comp. to SDI box - unfortunately there seems to be no model on the market that can be powered with 11 - 17 V....

Anyone?

Best regards

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Uli,

Yes, that's what I have found too. The external ones are mostly +5V and require their own power supply. Would have been nice it there were an option board to plug into the 330 making it compatible with 350 (I don't need the over-/undercrank feature) but that's probably a closed road.

So if anyone has heard of/tried a composite-to-SDI converter that is small enough to sit for example behind the battery, I would be more than interested...

Peter
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, ending up answering my own question :-)

A search on the web revealed 2 options: Datavideo has an analog-to-DVI converter to around USD 411, that will fit between the tripod and the camera - but fastened to the camera. This is a clever solution that's for the most are out of the way in daily use. It runs 12V, which can be taken from the D-tap on SONY cams.

However, I choose the mini-converter from Blackmagic, which also can be powered from the D-tap. However, this requires a couple of pieces of Velco to be mounted on the back of the battery. This is more convenient to me, as the cable routing will be very short from the Component out and up to the converter.
Price for this solution was GBP368 - approx. the same as the Datavideo converter, when the import duty is considered.

Both converters has embedded audio. So anyone with a F330 camera who want to have SDI out, but don't want to pay megabucks for the bigger model - there IS a solution :-)

Kind regards

Peter
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi ,

did you make some tests? How is quality after going Component->HDSDI? Is the A/D conversion noisy?
How do you think does it hold up to other Full HD pics (the pdw330 does 1440x1080 stretched to 1920x1080)?

Thanks

ULI
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Uli,

No tests yet - received the converter on Monday, but have had to make up a D-plug wire for supplying power from the cam to the converter (which came out nice, btw - the SONY's D-plug tap for a sungun is stabilized 12V, which the converter needs) - and now I'm waiting for 6 male BNC-plugs, so that I can make the 3 component wires (they will be approx. 5 cm in lenght, and I plan on collecting them in a single crimpflex sleeve so they will be permanently attached between the cam and the converter.

BTW - found out the converter would sit much better on the side of the camera (same side as the disc mecanism), as the component outputs are more or less below the converter, then. Also saves me getting the thing off when I change batteries. Velcro is a blessing :-)

Will be back, once I can test the output....
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Peter,

I'm curious as well to see if the component to SDI Blackmagic converter worked with your camera power and if you're getting the results you anticipated.

I've got an F335 and that would make monitoring in the field a bit easier with a single bnc cable.

Thanks,

Dan
Daniel Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey Peter,

Pleeeeaaaase make the test. You dont have to put it online, just evaluate it yourself. I am curious how good pic (live and recording) hold up via a this tool.

Especially , because the 3xx family has 1440 sensors. BTW: HDCAM records in 1440 too, but is different compression.

Please find the time to make a short test...

Thanks

Uli
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Take a look at the Blackmagic Mini Converters. I've had the component to SDI version for a couple of years now on my F330 and I am quite happy with it. I built an audio/video harness for the cables, mount it on my Anton Bauer wireless plates and power it from the AB 12V power out. The picture is perfect and the unit is trouble free.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi all,

Sorry for having been away for a while - been busy.

All in all I can say, that the solution exeeded my expectations. The converter runs without any problems whatsoever from the 330's 12V aux. supply, which IS regulated, so no problems there.

To my eyes - and to my editors at the local TV station - the downconverted (HD-to-SD) output is brilliant, and no problems at all getting things into their system.

Also the box has a fine size. I placed it on the disc-size of the cam, as this gave a very modest cable run to both power and the 3 Component outputs. Will never look back :-)

What can I add - I have no elaborate tools to measure the SDI output - besides my eyes - and to my eyes the thing does a great job.

Go for it - can be used for multiple other things too, so for the price it should be a no-brainer :-)

/peter
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Sounds great - thanks!!

ULi
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #12
Regular Crew

At our suppliers test facility they use a tiny Miranda Picolink to convert yuv to SDI.

Miranda Technologies and miniature interfaces
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Major Player

picolink A/D (YUV->SDI) is SD only?...

Uli
Old November 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #14
New Boot

Hi Peter i too bought a black magic converter and was wondering how you did the audio cables did you use stereo or mono jacks?
Des Carolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I used mono jacks. Don't know if I get all 4 channels of audio, as I only use ch 1+2...

/peter
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts