DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Adapting PDW-F350 for left-eyed cameraman (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/486673-adapting-pdw-f350-left-eyed-cameraman.html)

Luc De Wandel October 26th, 2010 03:22 PM

Adapting PDW-F350 for left-eyed cameraman

I can only focus correctly with my left eye, but the viewfinder adjusting slide on the PDW-F350 doesn't move over far enough to the left to allow for comfortable left-eye operation. In the manual I find that there is an adaptor, but 'only for PDW-F330', it says. Does anyone know an affordable solution to this problem for the PDW-F350?

Doug Jensen October 26th, 2010 07:06 PM

Luc,

I wasn't even aware that there was an adapter for left-eye shooters, so I might be totally wrong on this, but I can't see why something that was created for the F330 wouldn't also work with the F350. The physical differences between those two cameras are very minor.

Before you give up on that adapter, you should contact Sony and get more information. I'll bet you'll find it will work on either camera.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but it's worth looking into further before writing it off as incompatible.

Uli Mors October 27th, 2010 12:14 AM

these adaptions are common - and most viewfinder mechanisms are built the same way.

The adapter you are mentioning is compatible with all PDW-Fxxx.

ULi

Luc De Wandel October 27th, 2010 12:43 AM

Thanks Doug, I'll call them today. I'll keep you posted.

Tom Robertson October 28th, 2010 10:38 AM

I'm not familiar with the viewfinder on this cam but I had a DSR-400 that I have sold and still have the left eye adapter that I had used wtih it. I had a terrible time even finding one and ultimately had to order one from Sony which they shipped in from Japan (for for the crazy price $250!!!). It's just a short extension of the rail that the viewfinder adjustment rides on -- if it would work for you contact me.

Peter Newsom October 28th, 2010 02:11 PM

I had a machinist friend make me a little off-set piece to move the viewfinder over a bit. It is made of aluminum, and attaches to the sliding rods. It wasn't very hard too make.

Luc De Wandel October 29th, 2010 11:06 AM

Tom, I asked my Sony dealer what it would cost to order the appropriate Sony part to shift the viewfinder to the left. I'll also try to find out if your adaptor would fit the viewfinder on my PDW-F350 (it's a DXF-20W type).
If so, could you let me know what you would want for it? Unfortunately, I'll have to add 28%, as this is what Belgian customs are adding when a parcel enters this silly country.

Uli, thanks for confirming that it's the same adaptor as for the F330.

Luc

Tom Robertson November 11th, 2010 09:24 PM

I couldn't remember what viewfinder it had on it and so I looked it up on the Sony website:

Sony Product Detail Page DSR400K

Looks like it was a DXF-801 viewfinder -- I thought it was a DXF-601 but that's probably an
incorrect model number.

If you're still interested make me an offer. Sorry for being so long to reply. I just happened to
check back on the post today.

Luc De Wandel November 14th, 2010 12:50 PM

Hi Tom,

I'm going to try and find out if that extension would fit on my viewfinder. Unless somenone here already knows? (Uli perhaps?) If so, I'm interested.

Luc De Wandel November 20th, 2010 02:59 AM

Hi Tom,

my local dealer proposes this: PushOver Viewfinder Extension Bracket for Sony Video Cameras | VFGadgets.com as a possible solution.

Is this the same that you have?

Could you send me a picture by mail of the extension you have?

best regards
Luc

Tom Robertson November 22nd, 2010 08:30 AM

Here's what I have:

http://www.videoscope.com/pdf_files/...50_Service.pdf

Look at page 11.

Here's a pic from a post on another forum (hope this is OK to do this -- I couldn't get it to copy the pic into this post).
FS: Left Eye Adapter for Sony DXF-801 Viewfinder

I used it for a Sony DSR400 camcorder viewfinder (DXF801 viewfinder). The Sony Part Number for the adapter is A-8267-181-A.

Luc De Wandel November 23rd, 2010 05:12 AM

Hi Tom,

looks like this would work. What would you ask for the adapter, shipping to Belgium (postal number 8300) included?

Tom Robertson November 26th, 2010 12:58 PM

Hi Luc -- email sent.