How long will XDCAM optical be supported - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 8th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #31
Major Player

Hi there,

time for me to get involved, too.

I love both ways - SXS and the ProDisc. Why?

• I own a Z7 (HDV), EX1 (SXS) and PDW-F330 + nowadays a PDW700.

Will I sell the 330? NO. Even if it records only at 1440 , it is a professional camera + 4ch

PCM audio etc. Workflow is the same as with 700, so its a good 2nd camera for me.

• Will I go to SxS completely? NO.

When I look into my archive, I see roughly 200 discs at the moment. This data being archived

to a raid it would need 200 x 23GB x 2times (raid) = 9.2 Terrabytes including a kind of

archive strategy (how to find files, keep HDs alive regularly etc. etc.) to run from

harddrives. It also means SPENDING TIME on backups and archive.
Thats not my way. I am happy with swapping ProDiscs , buy them cheap and have my own offline

archive "on the shelf".

Second, the "instant proxy" recording to disk or USB Stick allows me to hand some preview

videos to my clients or writers directly after a job - cant do with flashmedia (today).
Some of my clients preselect footage with these proxies, and thats a big help for me as

well.

ON THE OTHER HAND I like using SxS media for instant edit. SxS cameras are versatile and the

bigger ones (PMW320/350) really use less power (thats relating to CMOS too) than the disk

cameras.

So - again - its a matter of choosing the right tool for the job. Unfortunately I cant

afford to have all cameras (well I already own a bunch...).

Thats where your question comes in.
As far as I can see, Sony pushes the disc even more - and sees it as a computer storage

technology for archiving (data, Video, SxS cards, whatever) by enlarging the amount of data

space. Surely the big versions (with many layers) wont find a way into the camera, but the

idea of the professional disks is future proof. For me its the only NON-LINEAR professional

TAPELESS data storage solution in the market. Unlike DVD-Rs professional disks are not

produced by hundred companies in thousand differents variations (up to cheapest organic

materials where DVDs rot by aging) but only in license by a handful of big-reputation

companies (Fuji, Sony, TDK, Maxell...)
It can stand temperature changings, dust, electrostatics (try a SDHC card and a "loaded"

balloon) , xray, water /ice, etc. Its NOT formatted like windows data units, but with more

intelligent data structures (2 content lists for example) for reliably archiving.

That all makes sense and I am happy to use a camera with such a media. Other flash media may

be more handy and faster in postproduction, but need some careful thinking about life "after

postproduction".

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #32
Major Player

Optical Future

Sony : PMW-F3K (PMWF3K) : Product Overview : United Kingdom

Now that their new f3 can record all types of the Sony EX and XD formats and they can be stored on a 128 gig optical, I think Optical will always be around. Take it from me that of all the productions Im working on or have worked on, all needed a permanent archive period.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #33
Wrangler

Late to the party, but...

You will have years of support for the optical workflow and hardware. It's not going anywhere soon. Like Doug, I am and have been a fan of the optical disc from the get-go. It's why I originally chose it over P2. Many similar benefits in terms of being tapeless, but none of the cost worries. Much harder to physically misplace an optical disk vs. memory card.

I can remember working the EX workflow pavillion at NAB 2008 for Sony and being very nervous about keeping up with a box of FIVE SxS cards for the entire show. I wouldn't have sweated one bit over 5 discs.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #34
Major Player

another example?

Today I have a concert shoot - probably 2hrs + encores.

I have 6 Disks (HD422: 4.5hrs , 90€) with me and a friend brings an EX1 with 32GB + 8GB. I also own a 8GB card. Thats 3hrs recording time (hundreds €) for the ex and could be too little. So we (again) think about copying the 32 when its full.

Professional Disk : Swap and go.

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:22 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Re: How long will XDCAM optical be supported

Many thanks to everyone again for your fantastic input, and apologies for my late response! I've been away from the internet for a while working on a film project for this coming June.

Cheers
Simon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts