DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   expanded focus for the PMW 320 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/487098-expanded-focus-pmw-320-a.html)

Ronnie Martin November 6th, 2010 08:51 PM

expanded focus for the PMW 320

I found the following description on a website concerning the pmw 320....anyone know what button they are talking about? Is this one of those buttons that can be assigned like in the other Ex cameras. On the Ex-1R and the EX-3 the expandable focus button is right above the start stop button on the lens. This is a super feature and I use it all the time to nail manual focus with the Ex-3/Ex-1R. It can even be activated while the camera is shooting without changing the recorded image.

Thanks

Ronnie

Expanded Focus
At the touch of a button, the center of the screen on the viewfinder can be magnified to about twice normal size, making it easier to confirm focus settings during manual focusing. When the switch is released, the center of the screen goes back to normal size.

Tom Bostick November 6th, 2010 10:28 PM

i believe its called focus magnification on the 320 and 350

Rodney Minott November 7th, 2010 12:58 AM

Expanded focus for 320

Is this one of those buttons that can be assigned like in the other Ex cameras.

Hi Ronnie,
Yes. You can program a button on the 320 for expanded focus. I assigned it to the button that 's in front of the zoom rocker.

Ronnie Martin November 7th, 2010 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply and the info... I read most of the manual but must have skipped that part. One more thing have you found a source for scene files. I don't know if you have been reading some of my other posts on this forum about scene files or not. We have three XDCAM cameras. ... EX-1R.. EX-3 ..and just recently the 320. There are so many choices in the set up of scene files and picture profiles that I have no clue as how to match these cameras. I guess what I need is a source for standard scene files for down load and then try and get the other cameras to match the 320... Any idea on where I can go to find some scene files presets for the 320?

Thanks

Ronnie

Andrew Stone November 7th, 2010 03:53 PM

Hi Ronnie,

You might want to start up a picture profile thread relating to the 320 and the 350.

I do believe there have been 2 or 3 threads here on picture profiles relating to the ENG styled EX cams but that was a more than a few months ago. Search might pull them up.

Also try to root out the threads on the 350 as much of it will apply to your camera.

Here is a link to Alister Chapman's articles on the 320 in the event you haven't seen them for info on your cam...

XDCAM-USER.com PMW-320

Rodney Minott November 7th, 2010 11:45 PM

Hi Ronnie,
I'm at a loss too for good scene files for the 320. But it appears Andrew has found a possible source posted on a site for the PMW-350. The site is operated by Alister Chapman. I tried downloading Chapman's scene files folder for the 350 but couldn't get them to load into my camera:

XDCAM-USER.com

Ronnie Martin November 8th, 2010 09:35 AM

Hello Rodney: I down loaded the scene files for the 350 last night and when I take a break from the project that I am working on I will see if I can get them to load into the 320.

What I would like to find is some "standard looks" for the Ex-1R/EX-3 that could relate to the scene files for the 320. Then start matching the cameras from there. I think that the Picture profiles for the EX-1R and the EX-3 are the same. If I can start there then try to find a scene file that was similar for th 320 then maybe I will have a chance at getting them to match.

One other not so perfect but maybe the only way to do it is to match the two EX cameras using a broadcast monitor to the same chart then try to get the 320 to look similar.

Ronnie

Dan Crowell November 8th, 2010 06:46 PM

Ronnie,

The Focus mag is an assignable switch. Go into the operations menu and scroll down to the assignable switches and choose a button to assign it to. I use the (RET) button which is located just behind the zoom rocker on the lens hand grip.

You should be able to use the same scene files as the 350 ( I own both). But, I'd check it all out on a monitor to be sure. They will be close. Though the image block on the EX-1 & 3 are the same as the 320 . The image processors, matrix, etc., are different (more like that of the 350) which gives the 320 a better image.

Ronnie Martin November 8th, 2010 07:19 PM

Thanks so much Dan: What would be a big help is to find a scene file that comes close to corresponding with a Picture profile for the Ex-e and Ex-1R then with a broadcast monitor and a color chart or what I call a "Shirley" ( actually a picture of a young lady with a color chart I guess her name was Shirley) that was given to me years ago by a still photographer try to match the look from there.

Thanks again for your suggestion about assigning the button. I use the expanded focus on the ex-3 and the ex-1R all the time to nail focus. I never use the ret button.

Ronnie

Dan Crowell November 9th, 2010 07:42 PM

Ronnie,

Like the EX-1 & EX-3, which are accentual the same camera in different form-factors. The PMW-350 & 320 are the same form-factor but slightly different cameras, the main difference being only the imager size. That being said, I don't think you're going to find a lot specifically for the 320 any time soon. Beside setting the detail a bit higher, I have found most of the settings for the 350 work well on the 320.

Ronnie Martin November 11th, 2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodney Minott (Post 1585636)
Is this one of those buttons that can be assigned like in the other Ex cameras.

Hi Ronnie,
Yes. You can program a button on the 320 for expanded focus. I assigned it to the button that 's in front of the zoom rocker.

Just looking in the manual for the 320 and it says that this assignment is not retained. Do you have to reset it for expanded each time you boot up the camera?

Thanks

Ronnie

Doug Jensen November 11th, 2010 05:46 PM

I have never used a 320, but I would assume that the manual means that expanded focus will not stay turned ON if you turn the camera off and back on again. When you turn the camera on, the assign button can still be used again to turn Expanded Focus on again, but it will always be OFF when you first turn the camera on. That's what I'll bet the manual means.

Rodney Minott November 11th, 2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Martin (Post 1587150)
Just looking in the manual for the 320 and it says that this assignment is not retained. Do you have to reset it for expanded each time you boot up the camera?

Thanks

Ronnie

I don't know why the manual says that about the expanded focus setting. I've always been able to expand focus after turning the camera off and then on again. Never been a problem. Works like a charm.

Ronnie Martin November 12th, 2010 05:48 AM

Thanks Doug and Rodney for your replies. Doug I know that you have said before that you did not have plans to develop an instructional DVD for this camera and having done some long term projects myself recognize how much time it takes. This camera has so many settings that are different from the Ex-1 and Ex-3 that a many of us would really benefit from one of your DVDs.

I have been bogged down with a project since the camera came in and it is still in the factory default settings. My deadline is today and when the project is out the door I will dive into the settings with more detail. Even a basic field manual like you have developed for the other cameras would really help.

I know that you have mentioned that you do not have a 320/350 but surely Sony would be interested in letting you have a demo camera to work with. It would benefit both of you financially.

Thanks again for you replies....they have been very helpful and I expect that I will be posting a request for help as I get more familiar with the 320.

Ronnie

Doug Jensen November 13th, 2010 07:17 AM

Hi Ronnie,

Thank you for suggesting I produce a DVD or field guide for the 320/350. It's great to know I'd have at least one customer on the first day of release. :-)

Unfortunately, there are a number of factors I have to take into consideration when deciding which cameras to work on, and these ones didn't make the cut. But basically it boils down to the fact that I can't fit these into my schedule. I simply don't have the 6-8 weeks available that it takes to produce a DVD or book, and I'm not willing to do something superficial or half-baked. If I can't do it right, I'd rather not do it at all.

Actually, I don't think the cameras are all that different than the EX3. If you're struggling with some issues on the 320/350 that are causing frustration and/or wasted time working them out, my EX3 DVD might be a good investment for you. Sure, there will be some differences, but I'm sure you'll be able to recognize those differences and adapt accordingly.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Thanks.