PMW-350, How happy are you with the camera - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Tom the difference between the PMW-350 ND and F800 ND is the 350 is digital and the 800 is optical. It is a big difference and it should be for the money.

Agree you need both camera ND and screw on ND more on the 350 then the 800. The 350 is more light sensitive I think by 2 stops on one of our test into the dark. But the 800 handles the highlights better again it better for the price.

I made the mistake of not enough ND once and won't do that again.
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin
Tom the difference between the PMW-350 ND and F800 ND is the 350 is digital and the 800 is optical. It is a big difference and it should be for the money.
I'm pretty sure the ND filters on the PMW350 are glass, not virtual.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Tom I re-read your last post. You don't really use auto iris do you?
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I am wrong it is optical ND on the 350 and electronic CC to the filters.
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #35
Trustee

I use manual iris with PUSH Auto.
Old November 25th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #36
Inner Circle

That makes sense I misunderstood your post.
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #37
Trustee

Again, the big appeal to the 350k package is the value of the kit. The 500 I don't quite understand the logic of not offering the kit lens, if to protect 700/800 sales, then why have the 500 at all?

As an aside, I would have bought your Fuji ZA if I had been aware at the time you were selling it. That said, the kit lens still does a good job.

And so it just puzzles me, the 500 would seem to be the one to hit all the bases with everyone, if Sony would just make it the same value bargain as they did for the 350k. It would seem that value would be its main reason for being, since capability wise it's taking up with the 800. I can only speculate the 500 is cheaper to make, and a higher profit margin.
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #38
Major Player

The PMW500 with the 350's kit lens and VF would be an interesting package. I believe the 500 doesn't support auto focus though - not that I have ever used it in the 350.

I'd also like to see a higher bitrate option card for the 350 but it would need to cost significantly less than a Nanoflash in order to tempt me.
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #39
Major Player

I tried autofocus once to test it out. Works way better then I was used to from the pro summer cameras. Though, I would never rely on it... Push iris on the other hand can come in quite handy when doing very quick following run and gun. And I really do like the option of fading color temp. switch. So when you walk from daylight into tungsten and you switch the color temp. You virtually can't see it.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #40
Inner Circle

I believe that Fujinon will be making a version of the PMW-350 lens available as a stand alone low cost HD lens.
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I believe that Fujinon will be making a version of the PMW-350 lens available as a stand alone low cost HD lens.
Interesting. I wonder if they will develop higher end lenses with that design - ie servo focus of a rear element as opposed to mechanical focus of a front element. (I think that is the main difference but correct me if I am wrong.)
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Mike when I was at the launching of the PMW-500 in NYC they said the PMW-350 VF will be an options on the camera Fall 2011.

Right now to buy a 500 as a kit with nice color VF is just not worth it in my opinion. A used F800 is the same price.
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Paul,

I have to say that I was a bit pissed hearing about the release of the 500.....especially after just buying a 350 & 320. But, after thinking about it for a few minutes I realized that adding a Nano Flash I can get the 4:2:2 plus higher data rates that the stock 500 can provide for much less money. Plus the CMOS sensor (considering their limitations) blows away the CCD in image quality. I did a shoot a few months ago shooting side by side with a guy shooting with a F900. I got emails and phone calls from editors and producers complementing me on the quality of the footage I shot over the guy shooting with the F900. And this is using the 4:2:0 35 mbps EX codec. I'm sold on the CMOS sensors (again considering the limitations). Personally I think the 500 should have come CMOS sensors. The being said, it gives me hope Sony will provide an upgrade for the 320 & 350 to record in 4:2:2 color space even if it's only at 35 mbps.
Dan Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #44
Inner Circle

"Plus the CMOS sensor (considering their limitations) blows away the CCD in image quality. I did a shoot a few months ago shooting side by side with a guy shooting with a F900. I got emails and phone calls from editors and producers complementing me on the quality of the footage I shot over the guy shooting with the F900. And this is using the 4:2:0 35 mbps EX codec."

Not really. The CCDs on the 500 are the same as on the PDW700 and 800 which are at least as good as any of the CMOS imagers. The F900 by comparison is a very old setup.

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Thanks Dan,

I was also a little pissed when Sony released the PMW-500 and I was there not knowing what was coming. Then I saw the price, and to match the 350 with VF and Lens you are at $40K. So it is not even close to a competitor. Agree it would be a nice upgrade to the 350 to have 50Mb/s 4:2:2. Who knows, but the big camera companies only give us something when it makes money for them not when it is best for the shooter. Big Business.

Nice to know how happy you are with the 350. Side by side with F900 and they liked the 350 better, wow that is great that someone liked the 2/3" CMOS over 2/3" CCD. Good job. Do you have a link to check out the clips or a site where I can see your footage? I know it is sharper, less noise, better in low light, less power, but high motion problems.

Did you come up with your own PP?

Noticed you shoot for the Marine Industry as I do. What do you shoot?

Thanks for posting I appreciate the positive feed back on the PMW-350. IF this one gig goes through in the next few weeks I might just be adding the 350 to my kit again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts