Sony Z7 better image than PDW-F350 ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 24th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony Z7 better image than PDW-F350 ???

I did a comparative test between my Sony Z7 and my PDW-F350. Both were connected to a Sony OLED monitor, which has an HD-SDI input as well as HDMI, so I could switch easily from one camera image to the other. Both camera's were on a gain of +12 db as I wanted to find out how well (or badly) both perform at low light levels. To my surprise, the image of the Z7 looked sharper and especially more flicker-free than that of the PDW-F350. Both have 1440 x 1080 resolution, but the Z7 has 1/3 chips and the PDW has 1/2 inch sensor. So I expected the bigger chips to perform better.

Z7 is CMOS and PDW is CCD. Could this be the reason for the strange findings? Or am I missing something?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Deleted.
Changed my mind.
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Thats not too surprising (for me):
The Z5/Z7 is a newer development , the F330 is older. So I guess there is more (oder more modern) DSP Power helping the picture.

LowLight is one thing, resolution another.

The Z7 generates its 1440x1080 by pixelshifting. The RGB resolution of its CCDs is SMALLER (I think to remember 960x1080 or so).
Thats no problem as long lowlight is mixed light. In case the light color changes to very red (Candles, Concert in red light) all Sony HDV handhelds will reproduce smaller resolution, while the pdw330 (in its sisters) keep up the full 1440 (1440x1080 RGB CCD).

In Lowlight it could be an alternative to go only to +6 and use the cinegammas 1 or 3.

Thats why I would still prefer the PDW for concert shots etc. over the z7 (i own one myself).

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would want to do any serious subjective tests like that on a much larger, full resolution monitor before coming to any firm conclusions.
Old November 25th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm planning to do that on a 42 inch full-HD monitor, Alister, but the difference was already remarkable on the Sony OLED (which has a 960x540 resolution for a 7,4 inch screen), so that struck me as odd. But as Uli points out, the Z7 might benefit of more recent and thus more sophisticated digital signal processing.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Major Player

one more:

Yesterday I played with my PDW330 + PDW700 in different setups. With both of them I am producing a TV show where we visit wellness hotels and high sophisticated **** Restaurants.
there would be no need to shoot it in HD, but for the hotelīs websites its a nice plus they pay for.

To gain max time out of the disk I often shoot in 25mbit mode - even with the PDW700. Pic quality (ZA12x4.5) is superb, but you can clearly see 25mbit "ants" when there is much detail or movement.

The 35mbit modes (1440x1080, 420HQ mode in PDW700 or HQ Mode in PDW330) is clearly better than HDV compression at 25. The PDW330 needs more light indeed. With a bit more light and the right lens and NOT TOO MUCH raised DETAIL LEVEL (that looks ugly when stretched to 1920) the PDW330 pics can look fantastic - even with its 1440 pix.

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:10 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Uli, I'm planning to do some more testing when I get back from holiday. I guess that my detail setting on the PDW-F350 may be a little too high (8). But it was especially the quietness of the Z7-image that surprised me, in comparison to the PDW-F350's image, shot on 35 mbt.

I'll keep you posted
greetings from Gran Canaria.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts